Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sticking my dist. in today to get ready to start. Set the distributor and it was off, pulled reached in and turned oil pump a little, reset and all is good.
My question is, how many different positions can you set the distributor? One for every gear tooth on the shaft? If so how many gears teeth are there? (I never counted them!)
Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can set the distributor in place for each tooth on the camshaft, but only one position is correct :)

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Yes.

My question is, how many different positions can you set the distributor? One for every gear tooth on the shaft?
Exactly. However, only a few of the possibilities will place the body of the distributor in such a position as to place the vacuum advance canister, if equipped, in a workable spot, without having to move all the spark plug wires. Also, the points wire to the coil, or wire harness if using a later distributor, is only so long. If the dist body has to be cranked halfway around, it could get tight.

Many distributor caps have the spark plug wires repositioned, but I prefer to keep those in the factory configuration, on V8s with the rotor pointing toward the #1 cylinder in #1 firing position. It makes troubleshooting easier.

Once I find the sweet spot, I often have to bump the starter to get the oil pump shaft to engage, and let the distributor drop the rest of the way in. If I miss it by one tooth, I just try again until I hit it.

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
Exactly. However, only a few of the possibilities will place the body of the distributor in such a position as to place the vacuum advance canister, if equipped, in a workable spot, without having to move all the spark plug wires. Also, the points wire to the coil, or wire harness if using a later distributor, is only so long. If the dist body has to be cranked halfway around, it could get tight.

Many distributor caps have the spark plug wires repositioned, but I prefer to keep those in the factory configuration, on V8s with the rotor pointing toward the #1 cylinder in #1 firing position. It makes troubleshooting easier.

Once I find the sweet spot, I often have to bump the starter to get the oil pump shaft to engage, and let the distributor drop the rest of the way in. If I miss it by one tooth, I just try again until I hit it.
Thats an easy way to remember it :tu

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually what I was looking for was.... the dist shaft has 13 gears, therefore can go in 13 different positions. So each gear will change rotor position approx 28 degrees, or a little over have the distance from one plug wire to another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts