Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on a small block ,its frozen and I'am trying to tear it down so I can get her unstuck. Trouble is I can't get the distributor out of it , its as stuck as the motor is ,anyone have any ideas? Have another question, whats the most( aside fron drag racing) damage that anyone has seen done to a drivetrain with a 4 spd trans.? I pulled the one out of my 55 that I just bought and the pressure plate was in 5 pieces, broken bolt on flywheel, clutch plate twisted, input shaft twisted, teeth on input shaft gone and the same with the counter gear. He said he was racing a 56 and he did all this shifting to second.Thanks . Mark

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
You probably already know this but here's my answer.

Probably since you are having trouble getting the distributor out is because the engine is locked, and the cam gear is seased because of the froze pistons etc.

So the camshaft gear cannot turn because it is connected to the crank shaft via the timming chain.

So to free the distributor, I would take off the timming cover and remove the timming chain, that would allow the cam to be free to move without the crank turning etc.

The distrubitor runs off the cam gear so when the cam can move the distrubitor should then come out freely.

Otis

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Otis I'le give that a try, I drained about a gallon of anti-freeze out of the oil pan I thought it might br corroded around the distributor. thanks again Otis. Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a similar problem with an old 327 block. The problem was not a blown engine, but gunk that had built up around the distributor shaft and it would not come passed the hole in the intake. It would move up about an inch but then stop. I tried everything to get it out... What I ended up doing was pulling the intake manifold with the distributor still in. As I pulled the intake off... the distributor came out with it. I then wire brushed all the crap off the shaft under the intake, and it slide right out.... Maybe thats your problem...

·
Registered
302 Posts
ABout your 4-speed question... I once saw a big block chevy twist the entire case off the bellhousing. The 4 bolts that hold the tranny to the bellhousing were still there but the case was shredded off. Needless to say... the inside of the tranny looked worse...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think thats what I'am going to have to do it wont budge ,tried beating on it with a hammer and a block of wood , I tried my big filter wrench I use on my Mack and it was trying to bend the wrench,I can't turn it or make it move up or down. I have to say for draining anti-freeze out of the oil pan the bottom end looks real good . I tested the anti-freeze and it was good to 35 below so if the block isn't cracked I think I can save the motor ,it has a forged crank in it dosn't look like there was a lot of miles on the motor when he parked it . Thanks 56 nomad. Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts