· Administrator & Tech Articles
56,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See Attached:

Attachments

56,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Made mine, basically following the instructions above....Here's what you'll need:

2' of 1/2" all thread, high strength all thread is good if you can get it but it's not required
One 1/2" coupler nut (nut used to connect allthread to other things)
3 regular 1/2" coarse thread nuts
An eyebolt with 1/2" coarse thread
The crossbar and lower retaining bolts from an old front shock (you didn't throw them away did you?)
2 high quality (thick) 1/2" flat washers

All these willl cost you under $15 at the hardware store.
Join the all thread and the eye bolt with the coupler nut and use 2 of the regular nuts as jam

56,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

56,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spring Compresor Modification

Hi, all...
When I rebuilt my front end, I added a bearing to my threaded rod...made it really smooth! Here are the pics of that setup...hope it helps you too! You cannot see it in these pictures, but I used a small washer under one of the large washers so it would allow "rotation" of the bearing...just loose enough on the threaded rod to allow it to move down the threads as you compress the spring. I used a ratcheting dog bone to compress the spring!

View attachment 126048

View attachment 126049

View attachment 126050

56,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the bearing at a lawnmower repair shop...NO NUMBERS! I think it was a bearing for one of the blade spindles.

I have made both types and I have to tell you, yes...you can put a good gob of grease between the washers to reduce the friction...but adding a bearing takes the load instead of the washers, making it easier.

Outer diameter of bearing is: 1 1/4 inch
Center Hole: 1/2 inch
Washer: .67 (Hole) with 1.05 diameter

Put the small washer on the flat side of the bearing...not the hub that sticks up! Ask me how I know.
...here are some pictures.

Picture One: The small washer for backside of bearing
View attachment 126112

Picture of the flat side with washer:
View attachment 126113

The side with the hub sticking through will ride on the Big Washer...and yes, it has White Lithium applied.

56,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An alternative to the shock absorber part is to fabricate the lower crossbar with a piece of 3/16" (or so) flat stock....Say about 1 1/2" wide by 3-4" long....Drill three holes....One 1/2"in the center for the all-thread and two for the shock nuts...Put a 1/2" nut on each side of the steel plate and bolt it to the lower control arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.