Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I don't have the outlet, but is my fuse box wired for 220/240?

House has been updated to circuit breakers, but the garage still has the old fuses. These are two 20A fuses.

I'm looking at getting a welder, and eventually upgrading my compressor, so if I don't have 220/240, maybe a good time to upgrade.

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Looks like you may have two separate feeders. Can't tell from the picture. Measure the voltage with a volt ohm meter. Set the meter to VAC (volts ac). Put one probe on the bottom of the left fuse and the other on the bottom of the right fuse. If you only have 120 v the meter should read zero. If you have 240 v the meter will read 240v. The meter is the best way to determine what you got. If you don't have a meter you can usually buy a cheap one at Walmart or a hardware store for about $15 or so.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
If thats the only panel in the garage, even if you have 220, you need to upgrade to at least a 60A feeder from your house panel. Most new air comp. will draw over 20A, and arc welder even more. Even if you have 220V, you don't have the amps, because feeder wire from the house is too small.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I've got a meter and I'll test it tonight, just to know what I've got coming in.

It's the only panel in the garage, so it looks like I'll have to call in the professionals. Hope it isn't too much to run a feeder wire (detached garage) and convert to circuit breakers.

Or get a TA211i and live with my rinky dink 20 gal compressor...

Thanks again.

John

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
First glance suggests you have 100-amp 220V single-phase service. If you're going to upgrade your garage equipment, you might want to rewire your incoming service to 200-amp 220V single phase. This will require heavier gauge wire from the transformer, a bigger meter and a new fuse box.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I know I don't have the outlet, but is my fuse box wired for 220/240?

House has been updated to circuit breakers, but the garage still has the old fuses. These are two 20A fuses.

I'm looking at getting a welder, and eventually upgrading my compressor, so if I don't have 220/240, maybe a good time to upgrade.

Thanks.

John

Can't see the wire feed size, but it appears small (maybe #12?) So if you check with voltmeter and have 220, be sure and verify wire size to see what amps it will carry. You can get a chart online by typing in wire sizing chart.
Keep in mind your pic is a double pole fused disconnect. Normally used to fuse/disconnect 220v. 220v is actually two separate 110v circuits each originating from separate buss bars in your main panel. If you use two 110v sources from the same buss bar, you have a direct short. Anyway, your 2 pole disconnect could have been installed as a source of 220 or someone could have been using it to fuse/switch two separate 110v circuits. This would be used if you wanted to fuse ....say a light circuit and an outlet circuit. Very much the same as a breaker box, only it would switch both circuits off and on at the same time (which doesn't meet code nowadays).
Need to open up your main panel in the house and see just what feeds this disconnect.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Looks like only 1 fuse is wired. I am guessing hou have only 110. The 20 amp fuse would be correct for 110vac with #12 wire. Best to call a professional and get price to upgrade wiring and fuse box.... Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If this disconnect is fed from the top like it should be I see only one wire hooked up at the top. No need to really check anything yourself, if you are planning on running more than a pair of light bulbs and an electric drill off this you need to call in a professional and have everything updated, new feeder, box, breakers rated for at least 100 amps more if you want to bring in some bigger equipment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I went in there last night with a multimeter, and took a close look, and you guys are right, only one of the fuses is hooked up. I'm running some lights, mini fridge and my cheapo compressor, and it hasn't tripped yet.

I'll be calling in the pros next week.

Thanks again.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.