Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am confused reading the difference in these. I have a 1955 Chevy 2dr Post 210 Del Ray....Which one do I have and whats the diffrence?

Thanks for any info, I love learning more and more about this car.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
lots of info in library area on homepage. nice project, thanks for sharring. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Original terminology for what you have was 2-door Sedan. Cars that didn't have the frame surrounding the front and rear side windows were termed Sport Coupes (2-door) or Sport Sedans (4-door). Popular terminology for these Sport vehicles used to be 2 or 4 door Hardtops (with the 2-door sometimes being referred to as a hardtop convertible), but somewhere along the line, the term Hardtop began to be used for anything that wasn't a convertible. To differentiate between the hardtop sedans and the hardtop sport vehicles, the term post was added the sedans to indicate that they had a B pillar between the front and rear side windows. The Sport vehicles added no-post.

So now we have 2-door post (sometimes with hardtop), 4-door post (sometimes with hardtop), 2-door no-post (sometimes with hardtop), 4-door no-post (sometimes with hardtop) and convertible (surprisingly without no-post).

It would be easier if we used the original terms but newer generations are comfortable with the newer terms although it hasn't eased confusion over what is what.

·
51,714 Posts
Original terminology for what you have was 2-door Sedan.
Not quite right....Accurate information was given for Papa's model in post #4

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Not quite right....Accurate information was given for Papa's model in post #4
Maybe, maybe not...Delray was an interior trim option package. There's nothing in Papa's pictures that show it had the Delray package. I gave accurate information regarding his question, "Do I have a Coupe/Hardtop/Sedan?"

·
51,714 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Fifty years ago this was never confusing............

Everyone knew what a sedan, hardtop, and convertible was.
Even though GM called the hardtop a sports coupe.

Don

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HAHA...Talk about confusing, so many different ways it could be said.
Yep it is a Del Ray, i have gutted the interior so there are no signs of it anymore. I will be having Ciadellas make me a nee Del Ray interior in the near future.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Del Ray Club Coupe.
All Del Rays are Sedans but not all Sedans are Del Rays.

Sport Coupe.
All Sport Coupes are hardtops and all hardtops are Sport Coupes.

All Sedans are Sedans.

All Convertibles are Convertibles.

It's still not confusing.

Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
We need to keep in mind the difference between (1) a product description and (2) a product name.

A '210 Delray Club Coupe' [GM product name] was a 2-door sedan – confusingly determined by the interior.

A 'Bel Air Sports Coupe' or a '210 Sports Coupe' [GM product names] were 2-door hardtops.

David is right in that the later use of 'hardtop' to describe anything with a solid roof is confusing, even wrong. To me, and most in the know, 'hardtop' means no B pillar, or 'pillarless'.

·
51,714 Posts
Del Ray Club Coupe.
All Del Rays are Sedans but not all Sedans are Del Rays.

Sport Coupe.
All Sport Coupes are hardtops and all hardtops are Sport Coupes.

All Sedans are Sedans.

All Convertibles are Convertibles.

It's still not confusing.

Don
Don....Don't forget the 56 Sports Sedan that was actually a four door hardtop :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
^^^^^^That right there is funny!!!!!!!

But, wouldn't it be a chicken coupe sedan, or a chicken coupe post?
Owning one of these would be something to crow about! :sign0020:

(557B210)
Don....Don't forget the 56 Sports Sedan that was actually a four door hardtop.

Yep you're correct:) And 57 had a Sports Sedan that was a four door hardtop.

Don

1 - 20 of 43 Posts