Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a car cover while the car sits in the garage. Lots of options from $ to $$$$$$$$$$$. What about just using a cotton bed sheet?

Jeff

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I asked this same question a couple years back. Most suggested California Car Covers. I went with their Noah cover for a 55 sedan. For a small additional cost they embroided "Thanks Melanie" across the front. Cool cover and scored points with my wife :tu

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have a "California Car Cover" that I use. I bought it at a swap meet for $50 or so, it is for a mid 70's Caddy El Dorado it was like new but it fits my '55(longer and hangs almost to the ground, it's like one of the mid-range models of car cover from the California company, not totally weatherproof, yet has a nice soft lining, but for sitting over my car for the winter in the garage, I really don't care if it is form fitting as long as it keeps the airborne junk off the car.... also the price was right for that type of cover:D

My brother-in-law has a light nylon cover he got at Wallyworld for like $25, easily stowed(wad up, stuff in bag),3 sizes available, compact, mid-size, large car, that he uses for his '61 'Bird. It's not weather proof but for a garage kept car it too works to keep the junk off and it won't mar the paint.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,532 Posts
I won't buy anything from california car cover. they get their products made over seas . profit instead of american made. got no use for them.!!!!! :eek::eek:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've got a California Car Cover NOAH on my '57 and I love it. Fits perfect and keeps the car really clean. I'd highly recommend it for a nice, custom fit cover.

·
Administrator
68,012 Posts
I`ve got the same sickness mine is an AUTOTECNICA with a soft cotton under garment that covers the whole car from head to toe :eek:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Works fine Jeff. I have 2 tie dyed sheets that i use on mine when i cover it.
Terry

i had a cover on one of my cars it got a bit damp left it on and a few weeks later i took it off and it had crazed the paint on the roof for some reason , so dont let them get damp !!!

in garage use a sheet , or plastic drop sheet as used in house painting !

Wayne.

68,758 Posts
i'm cheap. got one from jcwhitney, $30. after i sealed the sheetrock(in the garage), i stopped using it. :)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I guess the biggest reason I went with a fitted cover is because our plan was to cross the country in this car. I wanted to hide it best I could. For a few buck more I bought their cable and lock for it. Now tell me how anyone could possible penetrate a fortress like that :eek: :party0031:

If you have "Handy" wife with a sewing machine I'm sure one could be sewn up cheap and easy with some good breathable material:tu

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Car covers are fine when they are clean. The problem is even in the garage they don’t stay clean for long. Nobody wants to drag a dusty car cover over a nice paint job. Car covers are difficult to clean in a standard washing machine. I had a car cover years ago. That cover was always dusty and a pain in the butt to wash. I gave it to my neighbor and have never once regretted getting rid of it. It’s less work to clean the dust off the car than to wash a dirty car cover. Besides, when I go into the garage I want to see my cars instead of car covers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I use 2 velcro blankets from wal-mart and several bathroom floor mats on the fenders and rear quarters, my cat sleeps in a bed on the top.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No car cover for me. I too want to see my car when I’m in the garage - which is just about every day!!! Regular dusting with Cali duster is great —*just don’t let the dust accumulate or sit too long on the paint, especially if it’s a single stage paint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts