Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Segwaying off another recent blog (bigbry) when he said he got nervous driving from ct to NJ. I used to have anxiety when I first got my 57...felt tense driving it short distances let alone 2 hrs away, and back then my car had 9 leaks...and some problems that had I known would really have freaked me out! I've had my alternator quit 40 miles from home so I had to drive without dash lights at night and then my headlights died 15 miles from home...lucky I was in a well lit area. I've had tranny hoses blow off. Like they say, what you dont know wont hurt you. Now with a recent new engine and overdrive tranny (only 800 miles on both) and a new Ford "9 rear(why didnt chevy make a strong rear?) Iam not nervous. Now I feel I can cruise 80 all day long....

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have been/do because of the traffic and morons driving like fools especially on the interstate. I have taken to driving back roads, old routes to get where I want to go. I think my biggest fear is breaking down on the interstate and someone running into me or tearing my car up. I have driven it to Daytona the last 2 years about a 800 mile one way drive for me, but it has run like a clock and I have had no big issues, it got me there and back at 75 miles an hour! So I think the key is having confidence in the work you or someone you hire does on the car and drive the thing, the real fun of these cars.

Joebowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Like Joe I get more nervous with idiot drivers than breaking down. That's why I have extended towing. Knock on wood I haven't had to us it...lately.

When I'm in the 56, I'm watching in the rear view mirrors more than the front. Especially in town. I have a friend that was rear ended in his 57 by a young lady driving daddies Mercedes and this happened around the block from his home! Insurance took care of him.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
800 miles is one helluva drive! I worry about breaking down and having my car towed all they way home. I have towing but its got a $200 cap so that wouldnt cover much on a real long distance trip. Finding a shop that works on classic cars is a big problem far away. The other thing is leaving my car in a hotel parking lot...I parked it under the front overhand at a Fairfield Inn and even that was nervewracking watching people from my hotel room peering in and wondering whether their belt buckles or something else would scratch the paint. One time our room was on the other side of the hotel on the 4 th floor...the alarm offers a bit of reassurance but not much.
So BAMA where do you park in Daytona?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
My car is not even close to a trailer queen, and I'm not sure it would make it 800 miles, but I would try it if I had time. My biggest issue would be the other drivers, and I would not go Interstate. I would probably have to sleep in the car, I don't think any motels I've been to will let you take them in your room, & no way would I leave it out in a parking lot

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
i enjoy short trips. i am afraid of breakdowns, so i don't go to far from home (maybe 40 miles). have had to get a tow more then once. thank goodness for AAA. :scared0016:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
Drive mine everywhere; far and near......My problem is that I'm still living in the 60's, when it was normal to drive these cars.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Segwaying off another recent blog (bigbry) when he said he got nervous driving from ct to NJ. I used to have anxiety when I first got my 57...felt tense driving it short distances let alone 2 hrs away, and back then my car had 9 leaks...and some problems that had I known would really have freaked me out! I've had my alternator quit 40 miles from home so I had to drive without dash lights at night and then my headlights died 15 miles from home...lucky I was in a well lit area. I've had tranny hoses blow off. Like they say, what you dont know wont hurt you. Now with a recent new engine and overdrive tranny (only 800 miles on both) and a new Ford "9 rear(why didnt chevy make a strong rear?) Iam not nervous. Now I feel I can cruise 80 all day long....
It was certainly quite a trip. the funny thing is that now, I can't wait to take it on an even longer trip :sign0020:. The only thing that was truly nerve-wracking was driving with drum brakes (yeah, not the best idea). although they were recently completely rebuilt, they cause a lot of anxiety. my dream is still to cruise it across the country to california, most likely next year. I anticipate a few break downs a long the way, and probably some scary roads, but if I take my time, and monitor everything closely, I think it will make for one hell of a trip.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A few days ago

:shakehands::blowtiedb::shakehands:I was driving down one of the busiest streets in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in front of Parliament Hill. I was turning onto another major road and the car died on me zero electrics. Two (HUGE good Samaritans in a pick up truck behind me saw what happened, got out and asked if I wanted a push) Absolutlely, I got out started to push and they said no get in so I could steer instead of pushing the door frame while steering. I am thinking to myself the tow for this is going to be insane amount of money. I said a prayer to my higher power turned rotated the kill switch off and back on and voila she roared into life. I am thinking too much play on the rotary dial so I am replacing it with a key like switch. I thought for sure I would end up rear ended when it happened. I drive it every day to work and yes worry about other drivers all of the time. But I enjoy driving it so much I would never stop.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Get nervous driving my 55

Interesting topic! Until recently I was definitely more tense driving my 55 than our other cars. The reason is the visibility is definitely worse in the 55 than pretty much any more modern car. In particular the side view mirrors are no where near as effective as modern ones are and the height of the windshield is much lower. I'm a little over 6 foot and my eyes are near the top of all the windows.

For some reason I'm getting more comfortable with this over time and don't feel as tense as I used to. Reliability and brakes wise I have no issues with driving the 55 (have a front disk conversion installed). I would say comfort is my biggest limiter at this point, the seat backs are really low for someone of my height. I do worry a bit about being rear ended because I have no neck support at all.

I'd say 100-200 miles each way is about as far as I'd want to go with this car. More than that would be a bit challenging on my back and neck.

I'm at about 5000 miles since putting it back on the road and mechanically it has far exceeded my expectations with the original rebuilt driveline. Ride and handling are excellent even without sway bars.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nervous at times here to.

I find myself looking in the mirror to, I've been rear ended a few times in my 56, that rear bumper hasn't lost a battle yet.:sign0020:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
The longest trip I've taken was to last years Crusin The Coast in Mississippi, 650 miles, went on old hiways up the west coast. Did not have any probems until I got there, had to change the battery. Have been to Daytona several times 130 miles, but you are always thinking about the other drivers and some mechanical woes. Will be going to CTC again this year. It's always fun to cruse in the 55:

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
My car is not even close to a trailer queen, and I'm not sure it would make it 800 miles, but I would try it if I had time. My biggest issue would be the other drivers, and I would not go Interstate. I would probably have to sleep in the car, I don't think any motels I've been to will let you take them in your room, & no way would I leave it out in a parking lot
"Take them in your room"-Thats funny :).

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One item I found handy is a foot long mirror that snaps on to my rearview mirror and greatly extends my rear vision left and right...its a lot safer than the undersized rear view standard mirror as back in the 50's they didnt have the mega wide super highways...just had to worry about someone behind you.
I actually leave it on and never take it off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The only thing that makes me nervous is driving on mountain roads with drum brakes. My '55 has power discs, but my '56 still has stock drum brakes. A few years ago I decided to drive the '56 over Sonora Pass, which is very steep and twisty. On the downhill side of the pass, the brakes overheated and I was very lucky to be able to maintain control. At one point I had the parking brake pulled out, the powerglide in Low, and both feet pushing on the brake pedal as hard as I could push. I was contemplating shoving the transmission into Park, but the road was narrow and curvy and I wasn't sure I could keep it on the road if it started to skid. Fortunately, I came to a place where the road leveled out for a ways and there was a long turnout so I could pull over. The car rolled to a stop with only a few feet to spare. After I let the brakes cool for a couple of hours, I was able to finish the trip without incident, but I took a different route home.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
One item I found handy is a foot long mirror that snaps on to my rearview mirror and greatly extends my rear vision left and right...its a lot safer than the undersized rear view standard mirror as back in the 50's they didnt have the mega wide super highways...just had to worry about someone behind you.
I actually leave it on and never take it off.
I use the same type mirror as it really lets you what's going on behind you. Other than that, mine stays on the road so much I'm over getting nevrous about it. Where I live it's mostly ok to drive all year round so she don't sit long.:flag6: Blake

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Johnny57 I bring my car cover along mostly just to keep the lookers away from the car at motels. It takes a little more room than I like, but once the car is covered folks just don't notice it as a tempting attraction.

I have drivin it many miles now and have had minimal issues. No concerns for the 200 mile runs as we do that a lot around here and with AAA towing they will bring me home if something goes wrong:tu I am wanting to do a long haul now, Mel56 and I keep threatening to go visit the Texas boys at the Trifive show. But like someone mentioned knowing where to take it while on the road is tough. Maybe we can create a map section on here for reliable shops listed???

·
Registered
535 Posts
I find myself looking in the mirror to, I've been rear ended a few times in my 56, that rear bumper hasn't lost a battle yet.:sign0020:
I had a VW Beetle hit the l/r bumper on my 55. I had a quarter size dent in the bumper and he had to replace his hood.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts