Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I've done one tranny swap in my life. A friend and I bench-pressed the tranny in place. That's not going to happen at this point in my life, lol.

Here are my constraints:
1. I don't own a lift (sadly)
2. I'm not big on renting tools
3. I've checked the local CL ads for a used one, nothing avail nearby (closest is about an hour away)
4. I've checked Harbor Freight and they have one for like $150
5. I don't know anyone I can borrow one from

I'm trying to be logical about this, and I might need one to use twice in the next few years, but that's probably about it. Do I take the hit and buy the HF one, even though it will pretty much just sit in the corner? Or, do I go another route, ie a motorcycle jack or something else?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,201 Posts
I've always used my floor jack doing transmissions to hold the weight, and I provided the 'balancing' ... til it was on the floor.. but having a helper is critical, and I'm thankful that I've always had access to one when needed.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I made one out of a 1/4" steel plate welded to a old jack head..cut/ glued a mud flap for a base and slotted the plate for a couple of small cheap rachet straps. Stick it onto my Old Reliable 3 ton floor jack ..Works great and doesn't put a mark on the transmission.

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design

Toy Gas Machine Engineering Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
As panelman said, the HF tranny jack works well. My Harley RV jack worked okay lifting Muncies and T-10s, but I needed a dedicated bona-fide trans jack when installing TKO transmissions.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My wife's grandfather gave me this jack years ago. I couldn't help but notice the similarities between this one and the one currently offered at HF but this one is 60 or 70 years old. It was used in his shop or should I say misused. His hands used it as a car jack. One day they jacked up a dump truck with it. It has leaned to one side ever since. Bent, spindled and mutilated - it still goes up and down. I may try my hand at repairing it some day. I always manhandled 3 speeds but that was 40 years ago. I might need this now. Due to some earlier damages and repairs, it no longer goes all of the way down but it looks like it would handle a 3 speed with a little blocking and fixturing.
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Wood Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
You can usually rent a regular transmission jack from a tool rental place good if you are swapping a automatic I can't even manhandle a muncie anymore after two shoulder surgeries & a third rotator cuff tear they say isn't repairable. Thank goodness for my lift & trans jack but it's gets harder all the time to do anything over my head.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts