Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

Registered
馃悢County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
I made a new top for a regular jack and an important part of the transformation was to keep it from tipping over. For that I made an about 18" wide front "axle". Problem is that it doesn't have the lift my 2 other jacks have so using it involves jacking the car up extra high to get the tranny under, then letting it down some when the trans is lined up in place. Not that big a deal. Worst part was when I had some bell housing motor mounts that I thought were stock(ish). They were a real pain to install.
At 15-16 years old I removed and reinstalled a 3 speed and a 4 speed by myself. Laying on my side and rolling with it on top of me then lifting it up into place... a few times after knocking the TO bearing out of place a couple times. I don't think I can do that now! (especially with an automatic!)

Registered
My floor jacks all have the round plate for a lifting point, and it just drops through a hole in the jack with a clip on the end. I pulled that off and welded up a bolt to a large plate to make a larger platform that stabilizes the tranny better. I use a ratchet strap around the plate in two places to hold the transmission to the plate.
This worked well for pulling my TH350, and when done I hung the plate on the wall and returned the floor jack to normal.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts