Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was real fortunate over the weekend. I was on my way to small cruise-in about 40 miles away from home. About half way there I checked my temp. gauge and had to take a second look to find it. I have an aftermarket gauge in the car, and couldn't find the needle, so looked again and it was pegged over on the 280 degree mark. Pulled onto a side road and opened the hood to a sizzleing motor. The hose connected to the chrome thermostat housing was leaking around the where it connects. Let it cool down before I removed the cap, and there was not even enough water in it to cause any steem. After about 20 minnutes and 50 cars passing me by (even another classic), a farmer working in a field down the road stopped and fetched me some water. We put in about two gallons, and I left the cap loose and drove back home with no problems except for the leak. Pulled the hose off and the housing was all ate out from crossion. Engine compartment is trashed, but engine seems OK. Wow whata' night.

·
Premium Member
19,484 Posts
I was real fortunate over the weekend. I was on my way to small cruise-in about 40 miles away from home. About half way there I checked my temp. gauge and had to take a second look to find it. I have an aftermarket gauge in the car, and couldn't find the needle, so looked again and it was pegged over on the 280 degree mark. Pulled onto a side road and opened the hood to a sizzleing motor. The hose connected to the chrome thermostat housing was leaking around the where it connects. Let it cool down before I removed the cap, and there was not even enough water in it to cause any steem. After about 20 minnutes and 50 cars passing me by (even another classic), a farmer working in a field down the road stopped and fetched me some water. We put in about two gallons, and I left the cap loose and drove back home with no problems except for the leak. Pulled the hose off and the housing was all ate out from crossion. Engine compartment is trashed, but engine seems OK. Wow whata' night.
bob

throw that chrome neck away :tu spend the extra $ and use a billet one, really not that expensive, tak a peek on ebay.com.
Sounds like your LUCKY :happy0030:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just ordered a billet one from Jegs. Looks a lot nicer anyway. Made of aluminum. Maybe this will last a little longer. And yes, I was really lucky.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Wow Bob.. Sounds like you did dodge a bullet. I had a similar experience a while back and thought I was safe. Only to find out a week later that I had more issues with my engine after getting it that hot. So make sure that you keep an eye on any signs of a possible headgasket leak or anything like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.