Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put this also in my 383 build thread....

This is a pic of my recently installed composite AFR Titan intake along with AFR 195 Street comp heads and the resulting gap between the block and intake after it was torqued to the specified 25 ft/lbs. The pic is of a quarter and a dime stacked up and inserted into this gap. The directions just call for a bead of their supplied 732 silicone along the 'china wall' and torque it down, no gaskets.

Now in the past whenever I've put on an intake, there was always some 'squish' of the silicone, but here, not really....

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You probably could have used more silicone.

You don't say if the engine is up and running.

If it leaks you will have to add about 1/4" of silicone if you have to redo it.

Don

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks y'all....called up AFR and the first question the guy asked was...."Well how much of a bead did you put down"?....:sign0020:

So after talking to him I decided to take the intake off and redo while the engine is still on the stand.

Turns out, I probably would of been okay. There was some 'squish', plus another thing I didn't notice, but on the underside of the intake where it rests on the china wall, there is a little concave groove that creates a wall if you will on the silicone bead. This was pretty evident when I took off the intake.

So I'll just reapply a thicker bead this time around....a finger width rather than a pencil width !! At least then I'll have a little more of a warm-and-fuzzy after this...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.