Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to start a thread on my project truck. I found this truck on Craigslist in Kansas City, KS in November of last year. There was no price on it and I assumed I would not have enough to buy it. Wisely, I copied all of the information and the picture down. I was ready to buy in February, but the post had been removed. I was afraid that I had waited too long to contact the seller. I went ahead and sent him a message in hopes that he still had it. Luckily he did. I drove up (about 2 hrs) and looked at it on March 2, 2013. I liked it but was afraid to take on someone else's project. He had put a lot of work and $$$ into it, but it was sitting under a pile of junk and I just wasn't sure. I finally decided it was worth it and I bought it and trailered it home on April 27th. Here are the specs that I know of and some pictures.

1955 Chevy 3100 Pickup
Late 70's Camaro Subframe and drop springs
72 Chevelle 12 bolt rearend
C-notched frame
Fiberglass Fenders Front & Rear
New Cab Corners, Steps, and Lower Hinge Plates
Shaved Door Handles with reverse bear claw latches
Painless Wiring Harness
Small Block 350
Roller Tip Rocker Arms
Edelbrock Intake & Carb
Ceramic Coated Headers
TH350 Transmission

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The truck is being kept in my hometown about 45 minutes from where I live, so getting to tinker with it has not been easy so far. I devised a game plan and decided the first thing I wanted to do was get it down to the frame so I can make sure everything is in place and done right. I don't want to go back to the beginning more than once. :) So last weekend my dad, brother, and I took the bed, front clip, hood, and engine/transmission out of it. The cab is just sitting on the frame now, ready for me to get 6 guys together to lift it off. I will then make sure that everything is done correctly with regards to the frame and I will get it painted black. Then I will put it all back together and get it going down the road. I don't want to wait too long and let it be just like all the other projects out there sitting in a garage collecting dust. Here are some pictures as it is now. Any good advice on removing and storing the cab short term?

Attachments

·
Administrator
50,544 Posts
Any clue what the front clip is from? He thought it was late 70s camaro.
I`d agree, late 70`s camaro. Just sold a 78 camaro front clip and it has the same A-arms.
Terry

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very nice, looking forward to detailed updates and more pics. Nice find. ;-)

Barry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I am excited about it. I have loved these trucks since I was a little kid. The entire truck was that bright blue color before the restoration started. Even the bottom side of the cab is that blue color. I am not sure what color I am going to paint the truck at this point, just painting the frame black so I can start building on it.

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
Looks like a great score. Keep posting progress, we love to watch these trucks come together.

I use a cherry picker with a homemade horizontal support for pulling my cab off. That way I can do it by myself and mine will probably be on and off four or five times. I'll try and find a picture of it if you're interested.

Jim

·
Registered
540 Posts
Looks like a great score. Keep posting progress, we love to watch these trucks come together.

I use a cherry picker with a homemade horizontal support for pulling my cab off. That way I can do it by myself and mine will probably be on and off four or five times. I'll try and find a picture of it if you're interested.

Jim
Yes post pictures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, thanks for the kind words guys. Seeing some of the amazing work that you all have done on your trucks gives me hope. :)

I would love to see your thoughts on lifting my cab... I have a cherry picker and would be very happy to be able to lift the cab off by myself.

Thanks
DOGbyte

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
I would love to see your thoughts on lifting my cab... I have a cherry picker and would be very happy to be able to lift the cab off by myself.

Thanks
DOGbyte
Here you go...
Machine Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Fender

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hardtop Bumper

From the bottom up, U bracket with round stock on top to allow swivel, square tube with round stock on bottom to act as receiver for swivel, smaller square stock on each end to allow adjustment for width with locking bolts on underside, angle iron on ends to catch the roof.
Make the u bracket tall enough to allow for the crane arm angle change as you lift. You can see in the pictures I just wedge some wood in there to stabilize it.

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks really nice. How do you keep it balanced and not have it tip with that U bracket? Is just that wood wedge keeping it upright? Thanks for sharing the design. You could probably market those, looks professional. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Here you go...
View attachment 78536

View attachment 78537

View attachment 78538

From the bottom up, U bracket with round stock on top to allow swivel, square tube with round stock on bottom to act as receiver for swivel, smaller square stock on each end to allow adjustment for width with locking bolts on underside, angle iron on ends to catch the roof.
Make the u bracket tall enough to allow for the crane arm angle change as you lift. You can see in the pictures I just wedge some wood in there to stabilize it.

Jim
Jim, that is a cool design, I like it. I will be removing my cab at least 2-3 more times. The round stock could be longer for smaller hoist use? I for one sure will be making an attempt to make one.

Bam, showed me the frame rotisserie tech. I appreciate you guys sharing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.