Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dome light issue and i need to know if anyone can answer this::: when the dome light is HOT it will not go out. When I remove the blub and let it cool it works normal as to the door opening and closing. The bulb does not indicate that there is a problem with the bulb itself. The question is could the bulb be bad that there is a short when it is hot. I know removing the bulb sloves the problem Ha Ha:p3::flag6::shakehands:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
I have a dome light issue and i need to know if anyone can answer this::: when the dome light is HOT it will not go out. When I remove the blub and let it cool it works normal as to the door opening and closing. The bulb does not indicate that there is a problem with the bulb itself. The question is could the bulb be bad that there is a short when it is hot. I know removing the bulb sloves the problem Ha Ha:p3::flag6::shakehands:
I gotta ask, are you sure the headlight switch is not turned alll the way to keep the dome light on?
Make sure it's a #1004 or a #94 bulb. Some different #'ed bulbs will stay on all the time.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
If you recently changed the bulb Don is probably right, that bulb has to fit just right or it can ground out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bulb has been in there for over 2 years and the problem just started a couple of days ago. The light switch is the first thing I checked:shakehands:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotta ask, are you sure the headlight switch is not turned alll the way to keep the dome light on?
Make sure it's a #1004 or a #94 bulb. Some different #'ed bulbs will stay on all the time.
the light switch is the first thing I check and the bulb is #1104 dome light, has been in there for over two years

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
check out the door switches as well and could be you have a bare ground in the wire running to the light. if it grounds out the light will stay on. that's my best guess good luck stick with it

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
You do not have a short circuit or else it would blow the fuse. I`m suspecting that you have a ground issue as that would allow the bulb to remain on without short circuiting the system.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
You do not have a short circuit or else it would blow the fuse. I`m suspecting that you have a ground issue as that would allow the bulb to remain on without short circuiting the system.
Angus if it is grounding out wouldn't that be a short in the circuit?

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
Angus if it is grounding out wouldn't that be a short in the circuit?
Yes in the negative line. The hot wire runs up to the dome light (orange wire), through the filament of the bulb and uses the white wire as the return which goes to the door switches that grounds it.

I was trying to say that the positive line seems intact since it does not blow the fuse (shorting to ground). I would suspect the ground return is shorting out.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Yes in the negative line. The hot wire runs up to the dome light (orange wire), through the filament of the bulb and uses the white wire as the return which goes to the door switches that grounds it.

I was trying to say that the positive line seems intact since it does not blow the fuse (shorting to ground). I would suspect the ground return is shorting out.

Ok we are on the same page with that. It's a grounding issue, just weird it works fine till the bulb gets hot????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts