Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a professional mechanic but I have bought a few Snap On tools over the years, but no more. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a $45 test light from one of their dealers. The other day I pulled it out of thr drawer and the coiled wire is allo frayed and comming apart. I left it with a friend of mine at a machine shop on the Snap On route and they tell him no warrenty. This is not my first problem with them they once refused to warrenty a break over bar because it was old.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,001 Posts
Was it the dealer or just the guy that drives the truck?

Lots of times the guys that drive the trucks don't want to mess with warranty stuff and they will blow you off. As they arenot the actual dealer they just work for them.

Might give snap-on a call and ask. Whats the p/n on the light?

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,421 Posts
Get on Snap-on's web site and contact customer service. I have had a number of tools they've replace without question. Especially since they haven't had a good dealer in my area for quite some time, and presently don't even have one here.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was it the dealer or just the guy that drives the truck?

Lots of times the guys that drive the trucks don't want to mess with warranty stuff and they will blow you off. As they arenot the actual dealer they just work for them.

Might give snap-on a call and ask. Whats the p/n on the light?
Part # appears to be EECT300A

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,001 Posts
Ok that my not be lifetime. I would call and ask.

Most the dealers/truck drivers are lazy especially if you don't buy alot of stuff from them. I quit buying from a dealer were I used to work years and years ago. One his truck was nasty brand new tools all strew about. To he was ass. I was wanting to drop big $$$$ on a socket set and it was all scratched up etc but new. I passed and never went back to that guy.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
We have snap on trucks too, usually the reps are pretty good, I suppose you cannot always have a quick fix, try customer service :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I have all craftman hand tools , warranty never a problem. but the cordless that is another issue, no slip no warranty.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I've got lots of Craftsman tools. Some of the ones I've bought are almost 50 years old. Some were my Grandfather's, even older. Unfortunately, some, like my socket wrenches have worn out, and the replacements are junk.. They don't usually last a year. Sure, they replace them, but not with the original quality.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a lot of proto and SK tools. All second hand, but quality looks good. Kobalt has been slowly creeping into my toolbox...So far so good.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Craftsman replacement tools are cheapened down with plastic parts in their ratchets. The replacement stuff is junk like a previous poster stated.
My replacement 1/4 drive ratchet only lasted a couple months. Also the screwdriver tips are not hardened properly and distort.

Don

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
I don't think that Snap On is going to warranty an electrical instrument like they will a wrench or ratchet. Or anyone else. Maybe the dealer will cut you some slack if you're a big customer with some debt. Cash and carry, hobbyist types, not so much.

My thought is that the premium price of Snap On is probably not the best value for most anyway. Certainly not for everything like some Snap On junkies are.

I have a lot of Craftsman stuff, but it's 30-40 years old. I wouldn't go that way now.

There are a few tools in Craftsman that are OK. Pretty spotty.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
SNAP-ON TOOLS

Sorry for your bad luck there. I have only had one bad Snap-On dealer and that was because he got so big he couldn't handle all of his area. The guy we have now is AWESOME! He would have taken the time to find out if he could help out. I only have Snap-On and Matco tools they are top notch. Like RICKL said the old Craftsmans are good tools but I have some of their wrenches and they are WORTHLESS they flex so much and the steel feels soft. But back to your light, I know my guy would have made some calls especially where you just took it out of the box and it was messed up. I'm thinking that dealer lent that light to a friend who needed to use it so he borrowed it and never said a word about it when he gave it back, this is only an assumption at best. I'm sure the Snap-On inspectors would have caught a foul up like that. JMO
GREG

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree, warranty on some electronic items seems to be hit-and-miss, I peruse catalogs and many say they don't have a lifetime warranty.

I also agree, Craftsman has tanked. In fact, after having stocked my Craftsman toolboxes full of Craftsman tools, I will no longer be purchasing Craftsman.

Snap On and Mac will be getting very close looks, Craftsman is poor quality crap now. My grandpa's tools that are about 50 years old, while not pretty, work excellent. That's when Craftsman made good stuff. Sadly, no more.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
I am not a professional mechanic but I have bought a few Snap On tools over the years, but no more. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a $45 test light from one of their dealers. The other day I pulled it out of thr drawer and the coiled wire is allo frayed and comming apart. I left it with a friend of mine at a machine shop on the Snap On route and they tell him no warrenty. This is not my first problem with them they once refused to warrenty a break over bar because it was old.
This one? I had two replaced by them so far.

·
Registered
185 Posts
tools

my craftsman 1/4 drive ratchet has been replace several times i get to use it twice and then i have to replace it also there was a time all there tools were made in tiawan around the late 80s maybe they still are just took the t-wan name off :flag6:

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I've had Craftsman tools since I was 13 years old. Only problem I ever had was when I would use them for something they were never intended for. I think I replaced one split socket during this period of time. I also have some S-K sockets and very few Snap-on tools. I like Snap-on tools but they are pricey and I could never reconcile on why I would want to spend more money on a tool with the same warranty as Craftsman. Maybe I'm just frugal aka cheap.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
my guy replaced the exact same one for me. he even joked about me using it to test sockets in my home. AND, right know snap-on is replacing 2 of my screwdriver handles, for they are litteraly falling apart. he already did 2 of mine, gave me complete screwdrivers instead.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
½" drive Craftsman ratchet

In about 1970 my brother had a ½" drive Craftsman ratchet from one of those $49.95 Sears tool kits a lot of us now greybeards bought back then. Picture a roadside breakdown, we lost a front wheel, out in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, no flashlight, you get the picture... all the wheel studs snapped due to an ill fitting mag wheel.

Over the next couple of hours we bumper jacked and removed one wheel stud from each of the other three hubs, and installed same on the troubled hub.... with no hammer. You guessed it, by the time we finished there were no moving parts left in the ratchet, and the head was beat to... well, the plating was completely gone.

Later, we teenagers trotted that ratchet into Sears and told the clerk in the tool dept it had failed and we wanted it replaced. He calmly pulled a new one off the peg and handed it to us. We said no, we're not serious, just wanted to see your expression when we returned it. He said "And I want to see my regional manager's face when I tell him I warranted this ratchet." He kept the hammer.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Ok that my not be lifetime. I would call and ask.

Most the dealers/truck drivers are lazy especially if you don't buy alot of stuff from them. I quit buying from a dealer were I used to work years and years ago. One his truck was nasty brand new tools all strew about. To he was ass. I was wanting to drop big $$$$ on a socket set and it was all scratched up etc but new. I passed and never went back to that guy.
You are 100% correct about most of them, when I see them at a friends shop and buy with cash they are fine. However come warrenty they are jerks. exception to that rule who lives . I one time had to file a complaint with the state AGs office for consumer protection to get a brake over replaced. I shipped it to Snapon directly and never heard a word for six months. I broke three breakovers on an old girlfriends fathers WD Allis getting the rear wheel adjusters loose. Snapon was the only jerks in the bunch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts