Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind a true Sargeant Ryan story. All four brothers in the artical spent a minimum of twenty years in the service.

A fifth brother was in the Sea-B's in the Pacific for four years and already out when this articial was written. He spent the remainder of his career working in the Navel shipyard in Charleston SC.

All of them made it home safely and died from cancer as old men.

Sargeant John Harley was a real deal war hero. US Army, 2nd Armored Division, 82nd Reconn (HELL ON WHEELS). He not only paticipated in the D-Day invasion, he and his men spent most of their tours behind enemy lines. They were also among the first Americans to enter Berlin, yes before the Russians.

He was also my farther, rest in peace Dad.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
God bless your father, his brothers, and all of the other men that put everything they had on the line to preserve ours and many other countrys' independence during WW2. They forever have my utmost respect.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My DAD was D+3; he "landed" on the beach of Normandy the third day of the invasion. He served in France and Germany till the end of the war. On the other "side" of the war, my uncle was captured by the Japs on the Phillipines and sent to a POW camp in Japan---for 32 months---neither of 'em talked much about the war----the D+3 invasion nor the POW experience. They just left home---did their job in the war----came home, went to work and paid their taxes. I miss both of them everyday---they were very "special" guys. I tell all 5 of my grandkids about their great granddaddy and his part of D-day and the POW experience of their great uncle-NEVER want them to forget the price paid by all of these brave men and women. I served in the US Army in 68 but I always "felt" the honored presence of these two when I spoke to them about war.:gba:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.