Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But the bosses 94' diesel Ford van is having stater problems. The starter is slightly engaging into the fly wheel, while the key is in the run possition. It don't happen with the engine off and the key on, and when it happens, the amp meter on the dash flips to the discharge. A new starter was installed trying to solve the problem. Not a full on engagement, just random momentary hits.
PS: I hate Fords as much as anybody here. LoL

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Check the starter relay on the right inner fender... You said van so you might have to look for it, it's on the right inner fender on trucks...

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Check the adjustment of the ignition switch. The link from the key can hold it in the crank position.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah what Don said...

With it running pull the small wire off the fender mounted solenoid, if it quits trying to engage then it's probably the switch adjustment...

Hate to say it out loud but most of my days are spent under the hoods of DORF diesels... The rest of my time is devided between Chevy and John Deere...

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the adjustment of the ignition switch. The link from the key can hold it in the crank position.
Don, I unbolted the switch off the column thinking that was the problem, but it still does it. The swich feels good, and the boss called me and said he replaced it, but it still acts up.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so today I got a little closer to the problem, or in other words I found out that when you put the ignition switch in run, the solenoid now fully engaged the starter. Like I said, the switch is now hanging from the harness, so the column is not the problem. I located the solenoid in front the left battery, and found the ignition switch wire was hot, when the switch was in the run position. Because of the age of the vehicle, and not wanting to spend anymore time, I put a switch on the dash to activate the starter. It starts and runs, and that's all the boss wanted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.