Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to notice when viewing Bob's Classic Chevy web site that they list a door handle sponge pressure ring, which apparently keeps pressure on the door handle so that it remains in position. Is anyone aware of this? I ask because soon I will removing my front door panels to do some repair work and If these are in fact a component of the door handle and not in place, I would order before starting on the job.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,159 Posts
It is a foam "seal" it keeps the wind from comming in where the regulator stud comes out for the handle. It provides no pressure for the spring. It is not used on the vent or door open pull handle.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a foam "seal" it keeps the wind from comming in where the regulator stud comes out for the handle. It provides no pressure for the spring. It is not used on the vent or door open pull handle.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy
That sounds plausible, however, their statement regarding the item states, "1949-1957 Bel Air interior door handle sponge pressure ring deeps tension on door handle". That led me to believe that it may be an alternative to the conical spring that we are all familiar with in assembling the interior window and door handles.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,705 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure if the picture shows it but the original foam seems to disintegrate and liquify over time. I put the new foam around the shaft before I put the window regulator into the door to seal that opening. Seemed to work.
Yep, I removed my door panel this afternoon, and I agree it seems like there used to be a foam disk around the shaft, but as yours has, mine has also disintegrated, although there are some remanents left. My door acess panel are missing!!!!! Looks like I need to buy some, or just might make my own, probably less cost. It also appears that there may have been some type of roller/buffer (two), whatever up at the top of the inner door panel. One is missing and the other apparently lost whatever contacted the glass. You have any ideas on this?

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Are these the parts you are referring to? The inner & outer window rollers.
You can buy them like this or just buy the new black rubber for them. These pics are from the Danchuk website. :anim_25:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can buy them like this or just buy the new black rubber for them. These pics are from the Danchuk website. :anim_25:
I suspect that is what I am seeing. However, I have no idea where the outer rollers go and if what I am seeing on the inner roller (one or part of one is in place and the other is missing), then the roller and holder for it have broken off the bracket and in addition my bracket has an adjusting screw on it (small threaded rod with screwdriver slot on the end and a lock nut). Wish I knew how to do pics on this web site, that would help a lot.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In looking in my shop manual, I now see that it identifies for the 2 door hardtop, two window stops, located at the very top end of the inner door panel and spaced about a foot apart and a bumper with is located between the two window stops, but at a lower level, say a couple of inches. The manual does not go into any detail on these items. One of the things advertised in the Danchuk web site, looks like it could be the bumper, but I see no window stops advertised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts