Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help

Not sure why the drivers door has a 3/8 in gap at the top while the rest of the door looks about an 1/8. I was told once the body is on the frame and torqued it will draw down. My car is a hartdtop and Ithought that would distort the roof. A little history. I have been screwed by the same body shop for many years and have decided to attemt it mysel. The drivers rocker was replaced years ago by this shop.Is it possible the rocker is causing the gap? I have taken numerous measurments between the two sides and they are within an 1/8 of an inch. The body sites on a 57 frame that has been modified for body work. 3 1/2 standoffs at the body mounts to provide extra clearence for working on the floors. I have pictures but not sure how to add them. I will work on that but in the mean time I could email pictures if needed to evaluate my problem.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
37,052 Posts
You don't know where you're at until you set the body on the frame with new body mount rubber and torque everything down. Then go through the body mount shimming procedure that's on the Danchuk site and in the CCI tech book.

These procedures should bring the gap in. If not then it's time for a discussion.

In this situation a gap is good - no gap would be cause for concern.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick

It just seems odd to me that the body would pull down that much. it almost seems like it would buckle the roof.

Mitch

Yes I am talking about at the beltline. About 10 inches down the gap starts to get wider then where the door is even with the beltline the gap is 3/8>

Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It worked

You guys are amazing. I have been studing my problem and decided to try what you guys said. I loosened the aft mount bolt and raised up the body. That alone closed the gap to 1/4. I know once I shim and torque the body bolts it should pull within 3/16 to a 1/8. What do you typically set the gaps at?
Thanks again for all the input.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts