Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where is the top hinge adjustment passenger side door on a 57 bel air 2 door hardtop TY:)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how the door is adjusted for fit? Why do you want to adjust the passenger door top hinge?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top of the door needs to go forward towards the windshield about 3/16 of an inch so the passenger door window will not hang up on the roof stainless when the window is up:)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Open the door...get a floor jack under the bottom...put a block of wood on top of the jack plate...support the door with the jack...be careful not to put jack under door skin...loosen the lower and upper hinge from the frame side...apply jack pressure until you raise the door and tilt forward...snug the hinges...do not tighten yet. Try the door in the jamb. Good? Yes...tighten hinges. No good? You may need to shim under the door side hinge attachment.

If you've never done this before...find someone who has to help you.

:anim_25:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts
The top of the door needs to go forward towards the windshield about 3/16 of an inch so the passenger door window will not hang up on the roof stainless when the window is up:)
The door is adjusted for a good gap at the quarter panel. The window up stop or the window tracks are adjusted for that. Is the window higher at the back than the front?

To answer your question, you loosen the 9/16 bolts in the hinge strap that goes into the door itself. I put some masking tape on the hinge strap at the edge of the door. Then loosen one hinge at a time and move it a little. The tape gives a reference, when you move it too far, you can get it back to where you started.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE:door hinge

The window is okay, the gap between the fender and the door is the problem
Am I understanding right I would have to pull the upholstered door panel to get to the 3 bolts? Ty for your help!:)

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
You might want to check the body mounts. If the mount forward of the A pillar or the one rearward has collapsed it could have the effect you describe. If you haven't had the car apart there are few reasons for something to suddenly go out of alignment.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
This is what you are looking for...it's inside the door

Attachments

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts
The window is okay, the gap between the fender and the door is the problem
Am I understanding right I would have to pull the upholstered door panel to get to the 3 bolts?
The door is adjusted to the quarter panel. The front fender is adjusted to the door. If the hinge pins are worn, it can affect the door gaps.

Yes, you have to take the upholstery off to get to the bolts to move the door front to rear. The A pillar bolts will move the door in or out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts