Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this may be a simple question....I want to remove the door from my 55, so that I can work on the weatherstripping, window seals etc.
What is the easiest way to take it off, without having to get into complex re-allignment etc. I have seen some people take the full fenders etc off and that gets you access to the hinge brackets, but is there a simpler way ??
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Drill thru your upper and lower hinge and door for a pin (1/8-1/4" diameter) for realignment when reinstalling. If you're carefull, you should be able to then take the six bolts off the door, leave the hinge on car and pull back on the door to pull off. You'll want help doing this to prevent damage. The whole door together must weigh about 60 lbs.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I'm not sure removing the door will help in replaceing any seals. The seals are usually put on after assembly.
If you still want to remove them, unbolt the hinge straps from the door itself. The 3 bolts on each hinge can be accessed by removing the inside door panel. The door will then slide back off the hinge. Mark the straps with a scribe or drill alignment holes through the strap and door to help realign the door.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If it was me I would replace the seals and the weather stripping with the door on the car. It saves a lot of headaches later with the re-alignement issuses.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was suggested to replace the J Rubber and the door seal rubbers, to take the door off so you can get to the bottom easy, and be able to glue the rubber to the door, and secure with tape (according to Danchuk) Also, thought that I could take the door inside and work on it where it is warm.

·
Registered
609 Posts
While this may be a simple question....I want to remove the door from my 55, so that I can work on the weatherstripping, window seals etc.
What is the easiest way to take it off, without having to get into complex re-allignment etc. I have seen some people take the full fenders etc off and that gets you access to the hinge brackets, but is there a simpler way ??
Thanks for the help
If you still want to take the door off,Follow DONS advice,I took mine off and stripped the paint and repainted my door jams,I did put my floor jack under the middle of the door and took out the bolts with my wife help to steady it took the door off. GOOD LUCK RICH:anim_25:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts