Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I replace the door wing with a solid one piece window glass,, will the wind noise go away? I have new seals and wing vet glass but still have the whistling. not bad but annoying...
Thanks TC

·
Registered
488 Posts
you know, i just don't know the answer to that one, but there are things that i just have to ask, WHY, trying to get rid of wind noise in a tri 5, HMM next thing people will be trying to do is get rid of that noisy door squeak, or those seat springs , hey these are not new cars, lets try to keep what we like about them, or heck you could just go by a new car that is just quiet to ride in,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's,
I guess I'm anal about some things,,I installed new weather strip thinking
it would be quiet, and it is to some exstent,, but thought that the money spent on new rubber would clear it up?? I just seen the full width windows and wondered if that is why they replaced it,, Suntan57,,if people wanted all the factory stuff there wouldn't be a market for the IFS, tilt, ect...
I drive my truck everyday, everywhere,, and for my wife to be riding in it
it needs more creature comforts,I will eventually put a s10 4x4 frame under it with ls1,ect,, I have never had a NEW car/truck but the ones I have had were nice quiet and a pleasure to drive,, **** I don't even have ac/ps/auto in it.. just was questioning if it was possible to get it QUIET:) Thanks Chevyman,, i was told the same thing about the door/windshield shape.. I have added foam/rubber
to the doors and cut the air gaps to a minimum.. my heater sucks and it gets down to the teens in the winter and 100's in the summer.. drive it everyday!
Thanks again guys for the replies..:happy0030:

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have taken out the wing glass from all our trucks. It helps alot with the wind noise, but the shape of the cab catches ALOT of air so your not going to get rid of it all. My son and I made a vidio of how to do this along with a pdf file of a pattern of the glass and all the stuff need to do the job. It's on a different fourm and i'm new here so not sure about posting a link, but if you or anybody wants a link you could PM me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
57Blevins - I am sure there would not be a problem posting a link - most people on here probably go on other sites - there is no competition or rivallry - & it may well be useful to someone here.

I agree with Suntan - a 50's truck should be a 50's truck, however I am all for some improvements especially for safety - ie disc brakes - servos - seatbelts - although neither of my trucks have either - but I do have radial tyres.

My trucks bimble along at 60mph quite happily, bouncing and lurching as they go - they are noisy and draughty but best of all they are mine and they make me happy.

I have 3 modern cars and I honestly never feel happy driving them, sure they are reliable - smooth - economical - warm - comfy but they have no soul - no character.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am currently rebuilding my doors - electric windows, new releases and levers etc, new rubber and felts. I looked at the one piece window kits and yes they change the look (and eliminate the theft entry issue - of course 9 dollar wing locks do the same). But after careful thought I decided to stay with the wind wing (it is after all the easiest way to get a cross draft of fresh spring air on a cool night cruise and I am doing this without repainting as my paint is stil i awesome condition).

But to address wind noise - a LOT of the noise is just because the windows are set so far back from the outer side of the truck - nothing wil change that short of a ton of cutting welding and body work. New seals will cut drafts - but you will always hear the wind make that drop into the recess of the window!

Besides that - I turn off my hearing aids when I drive so all cars are quiet!

·
Registered
983 Posts
>>> "Besides that - I turn off my hearing aids when I drive so all cars are quiet!"

LOL, the direct approach. Nothing like it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is turned into a good thread I think,, good info!
I started this thinking I wasted my HARD earned
money on seals that leaked,, now I think it is just the nature of the beast??
I'm keeping the vents for now,(no air cond.) thanks for all the input!
this is a great place!!! and great people:happy0030:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts