Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,470 Posts
I subscribe to the belief that using the least amount of metal to replace rust is the best. I have seen and been forced to make repairs to
rust problems that others took the approach of lopping off too much and then discovering the repair panel was a poorly made part.

Door bottom panels are a good part and I have done this on lots of doors. Most of the time the rust in the skin can be repaired with
just small panels in the corners.

·
12,470 Posts
That panel is all that is made for a general repair on any 55 2 door. Most of the panel will "work" but it requires some adjustments to make it work
well. The problem is it is not an exact part and never will be. It is just a repair panel. You can use a part of it to repair your rust area. The problem
with it is that the lower underside where it matches the inner rocker is not well stamped. This must be adjusted, and the issue with that is there is not
enough metal there to make it exactly like the original stamped bottom of the quarter.

Lastly, the location of the wheel well opening is not the same as the Nomad, and any damage to the lip of the Nomad quarter, cannot be
repaired with this panel.

Reactions: BamaNomad

·
12,470 Posts
Don't hold your breath on that. The panel you showed has been available for 30 years, and no maker is going to redo it at this point when they
can sell these.

Reactions: Car1 and rodonnell
1 - 3 of 3 Posts