Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having ocassional down shift grind probs in my '57 210 265 3-on-a-tree. The tranny looks stock, as is the rear end.

I haven't figured out under what conditions it starts happening but after a while of driving, when I go to down shift into 2nd at a light I can't -- I the gears grind. I end up having to stop dead, go into 1st and then go back up to 2nd. When it gets into this mode it just stays in it. I've tried double clutching with no success.

I don't have any prob up shifting and the H pattern is easy to navigate without binding or sticking.

I've had the engine rebuilt, new clutch and had the rear end rebuilt. The only thing I didn't do is get the tranny rebuilt - I think I'm sorry I didn't do it while I was at it.

Any way -- what can cause the grinding? -- it sounds like something is spinning down but hasn't stopped all the way.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prob solved

:) The clutch might need some adjusting also?

Don, aka.....the hamsman
Ended up rebuilding tranny -- bearings were shot, slider gear was worn and a few others too.

Hardest part was getting a replacement slider gear -- ended up with a used one.

It's back together and on the road -- smooth shifting now.

Thanks to all..

·
Registered
186 Posts
That good news Dennis. I was going to tell you to check the trans fluid. Mine got hard to shift like that over time, and it dripped ever so slightly that one day I decided to pull the side plug and check it, and a quart or so of 90 wieght later...it shifted nicely.

I've since then removed the whole 3 speed setup for a 200-4r overdrive automatic.

Drive it with the column shift 3 speed setup for 4 years, and finally just got tired of that non-syncro 1st gear.

Much funner to drive now. It's a cruizer only anyways, so didn't need all that clutching in LA traffic.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts