Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the tri-five world and I would like some advice. I just bought a 55 210 post car. Thing's pretty clean but when I took the passanger door down to bare metal (using 80 gr sand paper on a d/a sander) I found what it appears to me like shotgun bb holes on the door. 57 to be exact. They were covered by filler or bondo so I ping'd them out. Now I want to fix these holes but I am not sure how to do that. I do not want to replace the door skin! I would like to cover them, fill them with either fiber glass or whatever. But I am new to body work and bondo. Any educated suggestions on how to repair this problem? My other concern is that I want to take the entire car to bare metal to see what I am dealing with, do I Walnut shell blast it, or do I continue to use the D/A sander? I have never blasted anything before so I was told to use walnutshell blast it, that it is less harsh on the metal and harder to warp it. In a "nut shell" I would like to know what steps and where to start first with this car. I am not planning on getting it painted for some time. It is just a shell at this point. Should I take small portions of the car to bare metal than self etch prime it so I can see what is under that old yellow paint? The car has spent most it's time in AZ and that is where I live, but there is some rust hols (little ones) and the dude that owned it b4 myself cut the crap out of the trunk pan. This car will be a full on custom ride so I am not worried about numbers and all that. I would appreciate any experianced, educated assistance with my dilema. I kinda don't know where to start and what is the first step I should take with this car.
Thanx
Jason PX AZ:eek:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Are the holes from rust or from shot? If the metal is to thin from rust there is not much sense in doing repairs that wont last. I will be doing the floors in my '56 210 2 door sedan. They are rust, porous, and in some areas non existent. I would rather do the job once and the right way than to have to go back later and do it again.
Welcome to the site!! Check out prostreets site as he does that work professionally.
Dave

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

You have your work cut out for you, but with the help of our TriFive experts, it will be a lot easier.

Steve (Prostreet) will drop a post in here shortly, he's a metal wizard...

·
Administrator
49,378 Posts
Jason i`m definitly no body man but if they are round holes i bet they are where someone has used a dent puller on it. The old pullers had to have a hole drilled so it could be screwed into it and then pull on it to remove the dent. Then filled over with bondo. If thats the case i`d weld up the holes and then rework the area and then use a thin coat of bondo. Come on Steve and give some expert advice now.
Terry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank u guys much

I appreciate all your replys to my situation but I am still unclear on what route to take as far as what I should start with on this car. What I want to do is this: I want to take small sections of the car to bare metal, just to c what I have, than self etch primer it than leave it till I can get the body work that needs to be done. Is this a good start?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Once I get a part down to where I can see what is needed to be done I weould go ahead and do it. That way you will fix each area as you find what it needs. It just gets deeper if you try to see it all before tackling it. In other words you may scare your self before you start any repairs.
Dave

·
Administrator
49,378 Posts
I have to agree with Dave on this one. Small tasks seem a lot less daunting if done when you are already there instead of letting them pile up and then starting on them.
Terry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have any other tips for me...

Let me know if you guys have any other tips for me concerning body work. My friend suggested that I "braze" the holes with a tortch and a welding rod. He said it's like soddering (<spelt that wrong<). Is this a good way of closing up those holes for good? Will I warp the metal? If so How? I want to know the best way to close up those little round holes.

·
Administrator
49,378 Posts
I`m not a welder either but from what brazing i`ve seen it will most likely warp it. Maybe prostreet will chime in on this. And you might consider putting a post over in the sheetmetal forum so he will see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts