Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '57 150 drag racing last night & could not get any traction. I have a LS376/480 with a 6L90E. First run I started in 2nd & got out of shape about 200' out & spun the tires most of way to the end, 14.338 @ 108.70. Second run with a passenger the same thing, 13.977 @ 107.78. Third run I started in third, 13.892 @ 105.66, 60' 2.054. Fourth run started in 3rd again, 13.833 @ 111.56, 60' 2.274. All runs were done with no power braking & 275/40-17 Nitto street tires (11" wide).

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Yep...your 57 is fast in my book...the MPH is there allright!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats my point, the speed is great but the et's are slow. Turning 111mph should be a low 12. If I power brake the car I,ll just spin the tires even starting in 3rd. Maybe lower tire pressure or a set of slicks?

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
just get a set of mt etstreet drag radials or the bf goodrich version . both work well . just be ready for some parts breakin once you get it hooked up. with that et it should run somewhere around 12.80 with a 60" time around 1.79.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Man Jerry, you weren't kidding about driving your 'new' car. Surprised you would be taking "that" car to the track...so soon. She sure is purdy.

I'd have to agree you have nice speed, the times will come down. Yep, you might need tires that are more sticky.

Please don't break anything on that sweet car, Jerry.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Your tyres are not hooking up, you should go with slicks on the rear for a good hook up :anim_25: next time

As others have said great times :tu

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think I'll brake anything with slicks, I have been told the engine will take 6,000 rpm all day long, the trans & rear can handle up to 800 or more hp. What worries me is hitting the wall when it snaps to the right. Slicks may correct that problem. I may wait till next year for the next run.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do you have any kind of traction control device on the car; Traction-Masters, Cal-Trac's, Ladder bars, slapper bars etc?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Are you getting a proper weight transfer? Sometimes disconnecting the front sway bar will help get the weight on the back wheels.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Morrison chassis, 4 link rear & single adjustable coil overs & Detroit locker with 3.50 gears. I kept changing the front shocks but forgot which way to go with the rear & I also had to much air in the rear tires (30). Can't wait to go again, maybe some of the local bowtie-trifive might want to make a night at the drags?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yea, I make a hobby out of beating car with twice the HP I have. :sign0020:

Loose those pretty dancing slippers and put some real meats on the back and you won't believe it's the same car. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
13,595 Posts
Morrison chassis, 4 link rear & single adjustable coil overs & Detroit locker with 3.50 gears. I kept changing the front shocks but forgot which way to go with the rear & I also had to much air in the rear tires (30). Can't wait to go again, maybe some of the local bowtie-trifive might want to make a night at the drags?
My car is not in running shape yet but wouldn't mind going there sometime to meet you and watch you run it. Sounds like fun.
You are talking about Wednesday night drags at Sears Point right?
I have a neighbor who has a 69 Camaro drag car that runs there quite alot, it would be good for me to see him run too.
Dan

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Sears Point & wednesday night. I'll post it about a week early. Don't know if I can make it again this year or not?

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
MPH is there

Your MPH is more than the 426 Hemi Satellite that I ren atb 13.09 109+ back in the 1966. But it had been used as a tow car that day with no tune up at the track. For rear tire air I let air out till I see full tire width even colored all the way across

1 - 17 of 17 Posts