Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
761 - 780 of 836 Posts

· Stainless Trim Restoration
13,132 Posts
Who's project car is this again...........o_O:unsure::unsure:

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #762 ·
Lol. His current task is the rain gear, heater stuff and main wiring harness. I am hoping we get a chance later today to keep going with the rain gear install.
as for the brakes, He ran all the pre bent lines and clips, junction blocks, disc and drum brakes, hoses. He even welded the replacement master stud ( his first crack at tack welding). I did the master, line loc, residual valve and lines for him because he asked. We worked on flaring, but in the end, he wanted me to do them because mine looked better then his.

in thinking about it, I probably did my first flare for a brake line at age 17/18. But times are different now. The younger set really did not play with their cars like we could. Computers, brake sensors, other reasons. So I was happy to help. Makes me feel like a Dad!

· Registered
4,800 Posts
Lol. His current task is the rain gear, heater stuff and main wiring harness. I am hoping we get a chance later today to keep going with the rain gear install.
as for the brakes, He ran all the pre bent lines and clips, junction blocks, disc and drum brakes, hoses. He even welded the replacement master stud ( his first crack at tack welding). I did the master, line loc, residual valve and lines for him because he asked. We worked on flaring, but in the end, he wanted me to do them because mine looked better then his.

in thinking about it, I probably did my first flare for a brake line at age 17/18. But times are different now. The younger set really did not play with their cars like we could. Computers, brake sensors, other reasons. So I was happy to help. Makes me feel like a Dad!
you're a good dad and he's willing to learn--great combo. I was 14 when I got sucked into loving twisting wrenches. My brother-in-law was putting rear brakes on my mom's 66 Impala and I watched him do one side and he let me do the other. I was hooked. I had been the neighborhood bicycle mechanic since I was 11 or so. Had a small tool box and did everything from patching tubes to replacing bearings, sprockets, chains and replacing spokes or just tightening them to straighten a warped wheel, anything bike related but had never worked on a car until then, Today I'm not sure whether to be mad or glad at him for letting me do those brakes :p

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #764 ·
Well here goes the rain gear lol. It’s a little bit of a pain to install, ok it’s a big pain, lol. Fortunately I am the tool maiden for this job. I will say the instructions that come with this set up are just ok. Lots of holes and some small items are just plain wrong like when the instructions specify a regular 1/4 bolt but the kit comes with a carriage bolt and the bracket is set up for a carriage bolt.

right at the moment we can’t figure out where one of the motor braces actually bolts to so he is inside looking at a You Tube video to see if he can figure it out.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Vehicle door

Green Motor vehicle Cool Fun Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #766 · (Edited)
Set the wayback machine Sherman for 1972, could be you under there Mike. He's got the look of determination. BTW I stopped watching TV I just tune into your posts now. Ha
MC setup looks fantastic.
You are too kind! I won’t lie, I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. Now if it doen't leak, that would be a small miracle and I will really be happy.

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 · (Edited)
Patrick and I took the doors off the car, procured a hood and a fender from my friend Bob's stash, disassembled the hood, grabbed the front splash pan, some fender air tubes and gave them to a guy to have blasted. The pickens are pretty slim around here in terms of finding someone who can blast. I found two that were sort of in driving distance but neither could schedule me any sooner then two months. I just dont have that kind of time to wait so I had to go with what I could find locally and who would do the work reasonably quickly. So we ended up having the parts "eco-blasted" (water blasting with grit). I was amazed at how much water it did not use, but it did a good enough job. Cost a couple of $$ to do but saved us hours and hours of hand stripping. Neither Patrick nor I have that luxury at the moment. One down side, once everything dries, its a little messy so we have a good bit of residue to wash off, then SPI wax and grease remover, scuff with 80 all over, wax and grease remover again, and spi epoxy. Fingers crossed I get a weekend where the weather is over 60 or so to primer. But at least the old paint and rust is gone.
Sky Cloud Asphalt Rolling Road surface

Sky Cloud Building Wood Asphalt

Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Tradesman Brickwork

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 · (Edited)
Patrick and I had to make a decision this weekend regarding his windshield. I would have preferred holding off with installing the windshield until we painted the roof but we have so many parts stashed so many places at the house that we are coming dangerously close to having my wife loose her unbelievably good humor with all this car stuff. We also have all the wiring ready to install, heater components, his aftermarket gauges, dash components, stereo, other stuff. We need to get some parts out of the house and onto the car.

If we wait to install the windshield until the roof is painted, we might be a lot longer getting him behind the wheel. His car is not a show car and will never ever be a show car so Patrick decided to go ahead and roof line edged around the top of windshield area in the white paint for the roof, install the windshield, and when we are actually ready to paint the roof, we will just have to carefully tape off the trim and sand the over spray to dull, then paint the entire roof. It will move the project along a little faster doing it this way, although not my first choice but for now the most practical.

I told Patrick I would get the paint done for him while he was out of town on a work matter, and while he met up with his sister and nephews in Washington DC this weekend, but that he was in charge of installing the windshield and trim.

fortunately my friend Bob has put a couple of these windshields in and so he has graciously offered to instruct and assist Patrick with the install. Fingers crossed next weekend is relatively mild. Might be able to get it in.

Sanded the slick sand that is on the roof around the windshield area, wiped and then sprayed a little gray SPI epoxy. The weather is not 60 here, and SPI strongly recommends shooting in temp over 65 because the epoxy can go dormant, but we really do have to get moving so we took a chance that we would be ok with this small amount. So I warmed up the garage with a propane heater, mixed the primer and let it incubate for an hour in the basement, removed the heater, and sprayed it Saturday afternoon, about 54 degrees. Can’t see much in this photo but primer is on.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Wood

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 · (Edited)
Let it sit overnight and checked it this afternoon to see if it set up. It did so I sprayed the white base coat.

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Paint Bottle

One of the guys here turned me on to using these syringes for pulling paint out of the can, keeping the can and the work area way cleaner.

Fluid Plastic bottle Gas Measuring instrument Font

I have a spray gun set from Eastwood, Concourse Pro. They work pretty good and are designed to be used with small compressors like I have. But the smaller of the two guns was still just a little big for the job. So I used a HF touch up gun. I have used HF paint guns in the past and while they sprayed the paint, the finish was not great. So not really my choice for a full size gun. But the one exception I have found is theses little touch up guns. Small cup, not expensive, sprays well enough for a touch up gun.

Bicycle handlebar Drink Drinkware Tree Window

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #775 · (Edited)
You are too kind Bill and I really appreciate the offer. Right now it’s wrapped in a couple of blankets sitting on my basement floor. It’s completely in the way (small basement and all) but if all goes well, it will be on Patrick’s car in a week or two!

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Any progress is good. Looks like the paint laid out ok. You should be ok with it. Good luck with installing the glass. I have done many glass installs, but still get nervous when I start on one.

· Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,978 Posts
Those syringes work awesome, been using them for a while. Makes it easier to measure small quantities. You’re making fast progress! Wait until that glass is in the car, it makes it feel like an actual car once again!

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #778 ·
I was thinking that same thought earlier. I already painted the cowl and firewall, once the windshield is in, there is no real reason I could not install all the remaining trim, wiper bezels and arms. I have to admit, it would really look like progress.

· Premium Member
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #780 · (Edited)
Windshield day! So I had quite a crew today over to help get the windshield installed. The leader as always, my friend Bob. He has done two of these so he had more experience than anyone. Two other longtime friends showed, brothers Jim and Pat. Pat was actually in town from Washington State where he now lives helping Bob out with a project so it was really great seeing him. The four of us have been friends since at least from age 14/15, Pat and Bob longer as they went to grade school and up together. Fortunately Patrick knows everyone pretty well so it was pretty fun.

That being said, that windshield was a bit of a bugger to get in. We used rubber that 55wagoncrazy supplied. Worked great. Was not easy but worked really well. Patrick pulled the strings, the rest of us pounded on the glass to get it set.

The stainless we also obtained from Mikey (55wagoncrazy) and it’s just tremendous. We got a few fingerprints on the trim while installing so a little wipe off tomorrow because that trim is just toooooooo nice To leave fingerprints on!

couple of photos!

patrick and Bob installing the rubber, stainless trim and rope.
Plant Wood Art Fence Artist

Bob and Patrick caulking the window frame. We got the tinted windshield and caulk from ol 55. They are relatively local so we drove up and picked up the window ourselves. Cheaper then paying for shipping.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Smile Vehicle door

Automotive tire Automotive design Selling Customer Retail

Patrick pulling the strings, everyone else thumping on the window to get it to seat.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle door

Bob and Pat. I have known both since they were 15 or so, but they have known each other longer as they went to junior high and I believe elementary school together. I met Pat's older brother Jim before I was driving through a mutual friend, who we are all still friendly with. Lot of water under the bridge with this gang.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

Jimmy, Patrick, Bob and Pat. This is the usual crew for the nationals. Only missing Bob’s daughter Emily.

Trousers Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Me on the left
Smile Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

At one time we were the young guys. Now we are the old guys, lol. Pretty cool that we got to be the old guys and still playing.

761 - 780 of 836 Posts