Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just wanted to let everyone in on my "dream" Tri Five project that I've been dreaming, planning, and saving for a couple of years.

I have the frame part of the dream completely figured out, but not the Tri Five year, power train, or the rest.

The frame looks like this:

Street Rod Garage Frame with:
- Standard 1" Control Arms
- Power Rack and Pinion Steering
- SBC Motor Mount...engine yet to be decided
- T56 Tremac Mount
- Rear End Housing Hot Rod Housing for 9" Ford Rear 3.70 Detroit Locker
- 31 Spline Axle
- Rear Suspension Triangulated 4-Link
- 14" Wilwood Brakes 140-9217-D
- Wilwood Emergency Brake
- Rick's Hot Rod Shop 1021 Gas Tank
- QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks and Springs

I know I want a small block :bowtier: crate engine (size yet to be determined...looking for recommendations, what size engine would give the best blend of power and fuel economy?) and a Tremac 6 speed (0.63 6th) manual transmission.

I also want a lot of the modern "creature comforts" like power locks, windows, AC, etc.

Well, needless to say, this "dream" of mine is quite pricey and I have been and will be saving a while for it to come true. In order to keep the labor costs down, I'm going to do most of the work myself (inspiration from Will's 1956 project).

Just wanted to share it with everyone here to see if anyone had ideas on how to manage costs and look for recommendations from your own dream projects.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
If you want to control costs, utilize a stock frame and add the CPP500 steering box, front disc brakes likely on some drop spindles and a sway bar. Get a side mount motor mount kit and a cross-member, cut off the horns that are welded to the stock frame. I think a really good engine that's easy to find and inexpensive is the LT-1. Get the computer and run the fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hey All,

I just wanted to let everyone in on my "dream" Tri Five project that I've been dreaming, planning, and saving for a couple of years.

I have the frame part of the dream completely figured out, but not the Tri Five year, power train, or the rest.

The frame looks like this:

Street Rod Garage Frame with:
- Standard 1" Control Arms
- Power Rack and Pinion Steering
- SBC Motor Mount...engine yet to be decided
- T56 Tremac Mount
- Rear End Housing Hot Rod Housing for 9" Ford Rear 3.70 Detroit Locker
- 31 Spline Axle
- Rear Suspension Triangulated 4-Link
- 14" Wilwood Brakes 140-9217-D
- Wilwood Emergency Brake
- Rick's Hot Rod Shop 1021 Gas Tank
- QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks and Springs

I know I want a small block :bowtier: crate engine (size yet to be determined...looking for recommendations, what size engine would give the best blend of power and fuel economy?) and a Tremac 6 speed (0.63 6th) manual transmission.

I also want a lot of the modern "creature comforts" like power locks, windows, AC, etc.

Well, needless to say, this "dream" of mine is quite pricey and I have been and will be saving a while for it to come true. In order to keep the labor costs down, I'm going to do most of the work myself (inspiration from Will's 1956 project).

Just wanted to share it with everyone here to see if anyone had ideas on how to manage costs and look for recommendations from your own dream projects.

Thanks,
Dave
Sounds like you've got a good plan. Maybe you could jump years ahead by buying a car with a lot of what you want done to it already. I'd almost bet it would be less expensive and get you on the road sooner. Something to think about.

Good luck with whatever you do !

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can save forever and buy a 100K completed dream car or you can buy a dream builder and have the satisfaction of building it yourself, ofcourse with some help from some friends. This can be accomplished as budget allows. Building a dream car is never cheap. Building a daily driver is.
In my opinion, that's the biggest decision of all!
Either way, all dreams are attainable.....good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.