Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting a long time, I'm at a point where building a shop is a reality for me. The size will need to be ~24' or maybe 26' wide x 44' or maybe 48' long. Final size will depend on what I can fit on the lot where it's going to be built...and yes of course I'd like it to be bigger but I can make this work.

Question on ceiling height: everyone says 12' for a lift (and I hope to have a 2-post lift at some point), is that high enough? Meaning with a normal lift and a 12' ceiling will I be able to raise my car to max height? If 12' will allow that then great...again I'd like to go 14' or 16' but not unless it's needed for the lift.

I have a pretty good handle on the electrical needed, and I'll most likely have a sub-panel installed so I can easily wire my welding outlets and air compressor along with plenty of outlets.

One thing I'm curious to hear from others is any advice from people who set up shops to do a multitude of different things. Meaning, I spent 6+years building my 55 restomod in my current shop and I hope to get another project car in the future, but I also have a table saw and a variety of woodworking tools. Of course I have a sandblasting cabinet and I also built a small spray booth that I use for powder coating...in the double oven I have in my shop for that purpose.

I'm guessing many here are like me: I do all kinds of different projects in my shop, so I need versatility in how it's set up and the ways I can use it.

Basically I'm looking for any advice or direction from those who may have set up a similar multi-purpose shop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I had my shop built I went 12 ft high. I was planning for a 10k 2 post lift. My choices were between Bendpac and Rotary. First thing I did was lay out where the lift posts would be and increased the pad thickness to 7 inches. for strength, But only for the area of the posts. Please see install instructions for your lift. I figured tool boxes in front of the car and shelves along the side. Next I went asymmetrical so I could open the car doors a little wider. After I built the shop I found out the Bendpac I wanted was 145" tall so I went with the rotary spoa10 at 141". I did pay to have it installed by a pro.

Max post arm height is about 6 ft .My head finds this out every so often. I did buy a couple of roll around seats so I often only raise it up to about 4 ft.
Mike
https://www.derekweaver.com/content... SPO10 & SPOA10 Installation Instructions.pdf

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
For what it's worth, I'll share my experience. I live in Southern Arizona. 28 years ago, I got fed up with a homeowner's association and bought 5 acres out in the desert. After getting the essentials done, like a house, I concentrated on a garage/shop. I put up a 24x30, thinking that would be fine. That was my first mistake. There is no such thing as too much garage. It has a dividing wall, which makes it 10x24 and 20x24. It has a 16 ft overhead door and 36 inch walk in door. I had a sub panel put in, and had plenty of outlets and several 220 outlets for welder and powdercoating oven. I have hot and cold running water. I have a full size beer frig, hot water heater, utility sink, stackable washer /dryer, and stove. The washer/dryer is for shop rags and such (something about a black ring in the tub of the washing machine in the house) and the oven for powdercoating. I have room for a file cabinet, a parts washer, and 4 sets of shelves. That's in the small room. In the bigger room, I have 2 2x8 metal workbenches, 3 tool box sets, a spare 60 gallon air tank (the main tank is in a small closet/shed outside the shop, at the front of the room is another workbench, tv with satellite, a 10 ton press, welder, a couple roll around carts, and on the side another 3 sets of shelves. I have about 12 air outlets inside and two outside. The shop has a heat pump, so I have A/C in summer and heat in winter. It is not tall enough or big enough for a lift. I had a slab poured beside the building, with a Rotary 4 post lift and it has an air assist lift to raise the front or rear of the car when needed. Because I live in Arizona, I can use the lift almost any day.......early in the morning in the summer, mid-day in the winter. I later built a 24x50 garage with 2 18 ft overheads and a walk in door. I keep our 4 vehicles there, along with all the yard tools, like tractor, golf cart, grader, and my grandson's go-cart.
One thing I wish I had done was put in a bathroom, another is I wish I had built the shop bigger and taller. Hope this gives you a couple of ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts