Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I wish I was a good story teller as this is a pretty good story. In the 70s I was at an auction where I fell for a 1955 Bel Air two door hard top gypsy red and shoreline beige. It had a lot of bondo and brought a higher pice than I was willing to pay. I have wanted that car ever since. Several months ago I found that car only it had a bright white top color. After towing a trailer from Birmingham to Missouri to bring it home I was in HOG Heaven. This car had been restored about 15 years ago. So even though it is in very nice shape it could use a little touch up and I was planning a drive line up grade. LS2 , 4l60, 8.8 rear end and disc brakes just because I had the LS2. When some friends asked me to join them in part of the Hot Rod Power Tour 2013, I put all changes on hold and began to impatiently wait for the day to get here. Well that dream of driving in the Power Tour came true last week. What a trip Birmingham to Memphis and back. 70 MPH + and not one problem other than two quarts of oil. She has a little puff of smoke from the right bank every once in a while. Saturday evening I went to a cruzin. Maybe 75 cars? They were all parked in a shopping center parking lot. Only a few cars were off to the side in the shade of a building. A friend waved me into one of those spot. An equal number of spaces were just across the drive from us but no one parked there as the sun was bright and in your face on that side. After reliving most of the power tour trip some of us walked maybe 100 yards away looking at the other cars in the lot... At some point I looked back and I saw my car was now turned around and parked on the other side of the drive by itself. I told a buddy that SOMEONE has moved my car. He said who would have done that. As we walked toward it I notice it had Cragar mags and my car did not. Then I could see it was Shoreline beige. Wow how pretty it was. As we got closer it was obvious this was a much newer restoration than mine. My buddy who just happen to be at that auction 40 years ago said Oh my that is your dream car. And it was . Everything I wanted to do to my car had been done to this one and much more skillfully than I could have done. And OH YEA it had a FOR SALE SIGN IN the front seat. This was so unreal. Many reading this will not know but the AU in my handle is because I am a huge AUBURN UNIVERSITY fan. Well on the NEW front bumper was an AUBURN tag. Hanging from the rearview mirror was a set of Orange and Blue AUBURN fuzzy dice. Its like I already own it.. It is every thing I could want. There is no owner around the car. How much will he want for it? Oh I know it it is out of my league. I alredy own one and can't buy another. "I'm hungry when are we going to eat" I hear JW say about four times. I'm drooling over this car and dying to talk to someone about it. He wants to go eat. (YEA he is a BAMA Fan) Well we may as well go I couldn't buy it anyway. We walk about a block to a Chick Fil A. I pick a seat were I can see the car. As I choke down a chicken sandwich, I can see Mr. Smith looking at the car. He buys and sell hot rods. He is showing his Anniversary Corvette at this cruzin. Last week he was in his 62 409 Impala convertible. He has a $60k 57 Chevy ECT ECT...Well the dream is over he will have this car before this night is over. Choke Choke. Oh no there is Mr. Money he has around $500000 worth of cars and has even made offers on my not for sale 55. ITS GONE!!
After washing down the chicken I am dragging the guys out and back to the cars... No one has talked to the owner... Lots of people are talking about this car but no one has any answers to our questions.

A good while latter as a few cars start to thin out and several would be buyers of the 55 are gathered around some chairs in front of my car. I notice a guy walking in the direction of the 55 and he is pulling keys from his pocket. I ease out of the crowd and give the guy a big WAR EAGLE and he throws one right back at me. This is how one AUBURN FAN greets a Fellow AUBURN FAN. The ICE IS BROKEN. What a nice guy. I am really just enjoying talking with him. We quickly learn that we have many mutual friends. OK this is fun but what would you take for the 55? He throws out a price that I was not excited about. But he then says for an AUBURN guy like you I would do this. NOW I AM excited. Can you take me for a ride? Sure come on just as the herd starts to move in our direction. COLD air, Everything works and looks new. Did I mention MY DREAM CAR? Yes I would love to drive it. Power steering, every piece of chrome looks NEW. Chrome under the hood even UNDER the car. OH YES I'll take it. Shake on it DONE DEAL!
When I say my prayers they are mostly for the grandchildren's well being.The two daughters and thier husbands health. And especially for our 9 year old SPECIAL NEEDS granddaughter. I would never pray for a car. But I know that GOD knew my desire and even though I do not feel worthy I know that he set this up. OR that I will awake from this wonderful DREAM with a giant smile on my face......

PINCH ME SOMEONE and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY GUYS!!!!!!!

7,080 Posts
Morning Paul. Love a good story to start the morning. We almost met on the Tour. I parked across from you and immediately walked across to see your nice car, mine is deceptively similar LOL. Did the usual Hi, beautiful car, walk around and go on. Sure wish I had stopped and talked with you about the cars. Oh well, next time. So proud for you in finding your dream and if its that much nicer than your other one, we sure need to see some pics. When your hearts in the right place, good things happen. Good morning:tu:shakehands::anim_25::flag6::congrats: Regards Lloyd :bowtier:

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
good read (congrats!), thanks for sharing paul. :tu ............................... hint:pics-1:

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off Loyd Thanks for the kind words. I to wish I had a Trifive.com Hat , tee shirt , tag , sticker SOMETHING while on that tour. I am sure we could have had a great conversation. And I might have met other future friends..
Now the pictures are not that great. The two cars car close to twins. But #1 has white. My dream car #2 has Shoreline Biege. One is a 15 year old restore the other is only a few year from frame off. It may not be YOUR dream car but it was mine.. I plan to drive the new to me 55 to Gadsden Ala. Sat. for a big show. Come on down...I hope to make someone as happy as I am. #1 must go.. It will be for sale as soon as the dust settles and I have a chance to catch my breath...My YOUR DREAM COME TRUE AND GOD BLESS!
:p3:

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
That is awesome to see two beautiful '55s in the same driveway!!!

The '55 has really grown on me =) I kept a picture of Roger's '55 in front of his garage as a screensaver for a while...another beautiful '55!!
Been looking for a '56, and let a few '55s go by...may start paying more attention for a '55s...day dreaming of owning either. :)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the story turns. Today I met the man that sold the car to the one I bought it from. And now my search continues. I thought My 1 car was India Ivory and number 2 was Shoreline Biege. He Said # 2 is India Ivory and Shoreline has more tan in it. I think I may be happy anyway.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.