Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.trifive.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77611&d=1370734990

I am about finished with my corssmember weld up on a 55 Nomad and I have one question (lots of uncertainty!). With the drive line resting in the bottom of the drive line loop, the pumpkin still interferes with the lines travel, down and out. Will I need to modify so that the drive lines can be removed from the transmission? Can the drive line be moved up above the pumpkin to be slid out of the transmission? There are pictures posted in the Nomad section...

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I was looking at that the other day. It looks like right now in the photo, with no real weight on the frame, the drive shaft is already close to the top of the loop. When weight is on the frame, the shaft is going to go up even more. Maybe it is just the photo.

Is your trans up too high in the back? Is your pinion angle way off...like are the springs unattached in the photo and the pumpkin is sitting up high in the front?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at that the other day. It looks like right now in the photo, with no real weight on the frame, the drive shaft is already close to the top of the loop. When weight is on the frame, the shaft is going to go up even more. Maybe it is just the photo.

Is your trans up too high in the back? Is your pinion angle way off...like are the springs unattached in the photo and the pumpkin is sitting up high in the front?
The trans is mounted in the bell housing mounts. The drive line is only resting on the tail piece for a line of reference. The images were shot with a wide angle lens and there is some distortion as a result. There is approximately a 2" gap on top and bottom when lined up with the pumpkin. The leaf springs are attached but the front end is completely removed and the frame in on stands.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
OK, as long as you have enough travel for the rear to go full up to the rubber stops or whatever is going to bottom out the rear from hitting the frame or floor.

Good fabrication work by the way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, as long as you have enough travel for the rear to go full up to the rubber stops or whatever is going to bottom out the rear from hitting the frame or floor.

Good fabrication work by the way.
Thanks!

I think I want to lower the bottom of the outside of the loop to at least the bottom of the pumpkin...

How much travel would you expect when loaded with body etc and from normal traveling/engine load?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts
Scott....Dumb question from someone who knows nothing about such things....Can the loop be made so that it can be removed, when you have to remove the driveshaft?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.