Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete frame off restoration of a 1956 Chevrolet 2 dr sedan 150.
I bought an incomplete car - body, frame, and wheels only.
No motor, tranny.
Originally a 6 cyl, 3 on the tree manual car.
Installed a 1974 vintage small block with a turbo 350 tranny.
Used the Ecklers 18-02 Small Block side engine mount kit -
http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-side-engine-mounts-small-block-v8-1955-1957.html[/COLOR]
And Ecklers Rear transmission crossmember 19-03
http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-rear-transmission-crossmember-gm-style-1955-1957.html
with a standard GM tranny mount -
Had a driveshaft built - the yolk, length, all fine.
But the driveshaft sits so low that it interferes with the e-brake idler.
The rear axle is original, and so are the leaf springs, mounts, etc.
The shocks seem to be very extended, so it appears the rear axle is sitting "high" compared to stock.
The car is sitting on jack stands - the rear axle is supporting the rear of the car.
There is no interior, but I am assuming that weight can't be enough to lower the back of the car sufficiently to reduce the angle of the driveshaft from the tranny tailshaft to the rear pinion, can it?
Surely the relative height of the tranny to the rear axle can't change so much I am creating at least 1" of interference?
Or should I just buy the Ecklers 20-251 offset e-brake idler?
I just don't understand why the rear axle is so high and "stiff".
I crawl into the trunk with my 200 lb fat ass, and it doesn't budge.
Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,283 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,283 Posts
Should look like this (right side):

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Smart guy

Should look like this (right side):

Is there no end to what you know about these cars? And how do you get a picture posted like that, I sure would like to know! I'll tell you a story about whatr I discovereed working on these cars. While doing a frame off and in the middle of doing a mock-up on the frame I saw where the e-brake cables were going to run into the exhaust pipes, nso I cut the brackets off of the frame and when I went about to re-attach them at a different angle, I accidently placed the right bracket on the left side and guess what, It placed the cable at the correct angle to clear the exhaust pipe, so I welded them on like that.
Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts