Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a chance to get a aluminum driveshaft 41" cnt to cnt.
I'm installing a LS2 with a 6 spd and 12 bolt. However its not installed yet. Does anyone have the approximate driveshaft lenght for this combo???
Installed with BMR kit.
Later
BobH

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I'm installing a LS2 with a 6 spd and 12 bolt. However its not installed yet. Does anyone have the approximate driveshaft lenght for this combo???
Installed with BMR kit.
Later
BobH
I can get you a length of mine but I think it could be off a couple inches. I've got a LS1/T56 and a C4 Dana 44. Let me know. My 55 is up on jack stands at the moment

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get you a length of mine but I think it could be off a couple inches. I've got a LS1/T56 and a C4 Dana 44. Let me know. My 55 is up on jack stands at the moment
Thanks just need approximate. dont mind cutting it down but cant make it longer
Thanks again
BobH

·
Registered
37,052 Posts
That sounds right, the stock length is 53"+.

Almost regardless of your powertrain plans, 41" is going to be too short.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Installed with BMR kit.
Later
BobH
You may need to stick a Gear Vendor in to make 41" work :anim_25:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks tri five folks
i passed on the alum shaft ,i'll keep me eye out. Anybody have ideas what cars came with al driveshafts other than f bodies???
thanks
bobh

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Aluminum driveshafts

thanks tri five folks
i passed on the alum shaft ,i'll keep me eye out. Anybody have ideas what cars came with al driveshafts other than f bodies???
thanks
bobh
Bob, the mid 90's Impala SS had an aluminum driveshaft but I'm not sure on the length. JIM.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
F-body shafts are not known for taking much abuse. My d/s builder reports that 90% of all the f-body vib complaints are found to be bent shafts...
Unless you can confirm the shaft to be straight B4 U spend the cash, I'd pass on any used f-body shaft.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
2003 Express Van has aluminum shaft, not sure on other years...
Some of the trucks had them too...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I know if you do some research you'll find all the pros of alum, rotating mas etc. etc. but on a practical stand point in our applications are they really any better? I for one don't think so. The car and truck manufactuers have all the reasons and ability to design and evaluate. But I've seen alot of problems, did you know there are special u joints with caps that are compatable with alum weld yokes for average life, athough they are std size a coating on porous metal is on them, This is only my opinion. I spent 28 years running a shop that among other things built drive shafts. Again only my opinion!:)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I know if you do some research you'll find all the pros of alum, rotating mas etc. etc. but on a practical stand point in our applications are they really any better? I for one don't think so. The car and truck manufactuers have all the reasons and ability to design and evaluate. But I've seen alot of problems, did you know there are special u joints with caps that are compatable with alum weld yokes for average life, athough they are std size a coating on porous metal is on them, This is only my opinion. I spent 28 years running a shop that among other things built drive shafts. Again only my opinion!:)
HI Gary

I went with an aluminum driveline from Denny's . Not really knowing if it would make a noticable difference or not. I also went with a under
drive harmonic balencer. I have to say I'm not sure what did it but my 55 accelerates quicker than anything I've been in. Denny speced my driveline for 600 hp :tu

·
Registered
792 Posts
I heard someone in here say 94 aerostar mini van has alum driveshaft and he put it in his 55, roughly same length. rick

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Not sure I agree that mid 90's impala's had alum. Driveshafts. Had a'96, don't recall that being on there....

I too bought a Denny's for the '57.

Charlie

·
Registered
37,052 Posts
"I have to say I'm not sure what did it but my 55 accelerates quicker than anything I've been in."

That would come from more power. Plain and simple. An aluminum driveshaft does almost nothing for reducing the total drivetrain rotational moment of inertia. It's too small in diameter. Its real benefit in a street machine is reduced dead weight. Even that is not that much.

All that said, I bought a Denny's aluminum shaft for my car.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
92-94 SS Impala.

Not sure I agree that mid 90's impala's had alum. Driveshafts. Had a'96, don't recall that being on there....

I too bought a Denny's for the '57.

Charlie
SS did...:)not sure if "all" of them. JIM.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
SS did...:)not sure if "all" of them. JIM.
Mine was a highly modified SS. SS and 9c1 were the same thing drivetrain-wise and I had a rusty 95 9c1 driveshaft until I moved last year. Since it was rusty, could not have been aluminum.

Charlie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts