Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Oklahoma City, OK
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be safe to drive my '57 without a hood brace. I replaced my radiator not realizing the top hose on the new radiator is in the center. My current hood brace is notched off center which means I can't close the hood. I can get a hood brace that is notched in the center but I'm just wondering if it would be okay to temporarily drive the car without a brace while I wait for the new one to come in.
As always, thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jim

·
Administrator
66,915 Posts
Can see why not, you may see the hood flex a little but they tend to do that even with the braces in position.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You can, but it won't help your engine cooling/radiator efficiency.

One of the functions of the hood brace is to stop air passing up and over the radiator, and force it through the radiator.

·
Registered
68,433 Posts
I probably wouldn't drive it till I replaced it. there on there for a reason.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,212 Posts
I drove without one for years and it was not a huge deal. I will say cooling did improve on the highway when I finally got around to putting one in.

Reactions: Pops @ Tri-5.com

·
Registered
Oklahoma City, OK
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to everyone for your help. I'm ordering a hood brace with the center notch but these days there's no telling when it will come in and I like driving my '57 everyday. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing some serious damage to the hood.
Thanks again.

Jim

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Several decades ago, removed the 6 cyl from my '55 Chevy 210 and installed a 327 V8. Ran into the same problem. The 6 cyl radiator hose was on the left side and the V8 hose was in the center. IIRC I cut an opening in the hood cross brace for the V8 hose and pieced in sheetmetal to fill the 6 cyl opening. This would get you by until the new cross brace arrives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts