Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
gets me copious amounts of unwarranted attention and makes me smile.

Reactions: twin engines

·
Registered
744 Posts
Instantly puts me in a good mood, it doesn't get any better when the whole family is along for a ride.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Understandable....
I don't want to give the wrong impression though; I love driving it and wish that I grew up with them and was able to experience flashback style memories. If I could cruise somewhere more rural, that would probably solve my dilemma and anxiety. Right now I only drive on weekend mornings when the lazy drivers are sleeping in. I was already in an accident with the car (thankfully very minor) in less than 500 miles of owning it so that's probably why I have a harsher attitude towards driving conditions than others.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Love driving my 56. We left Friday for a trip to Laughlin, NV. Saturday, got up and drove to Barstow, CA and back to Laughlin. Got up Sunday and drove home. 1100 miles in 3 days. Got asked if it's for sale while in traffic, asked what kind of car it is at a light, got some wild guy yelling how cool it is while driving. We've got almost 18,000 miles on it since it hit the road in Sept '18, would be a lot more except for Covid.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Left the wagon in primer I built it as a DD I use it like a pick up truck. It has a class 3 hitch I park @ Wally World, Lowes etc. if a paint chip I'll rattle can it.
Clutter catcher is not bolted down yet I can move it if its raining & I need to haul 8' lumber & close the tailgate the wood stacks between the bucket seats.
See The USA John sent me pix of a roof rack I need to make one.
Hate to stop for fuel in it most of the time its conversation + the .02 tour is requested.
Did a major appearance upgrade this summer installed trim rings & C3 center caps on the rally wheels. Don't know if I like it now I can't see the chrome acorn lug nuts & I probably scratched the pretty paint on the steelies + its the only shiny bits on the car.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Left the wagon in primer I built it as a DD I use it like a pick up truck. It has a class 3 hitch I park @ Wally World, Lowes etc. if a paint chip I'll rattle can it.
Clutter catcher is not bolted down yet I can move it if its raining & I need to haul 8' lumber & close the tailgate the wood stacks between the bucket seats.
See The USA John sent me pix of a roof rack I need to make one.
Hate to stop for fuel in it most of the time its conversation + the .02 tour is requested.
Did a major appearance upgrade this summer installed trim rings & C3 center caps on the rally wheels. Don't know if I like it now I can't see the chrome acorn lug nuts & I probably scratched the pretty paint on the steelies + its the only shiny bits on the car.
I like the way you think!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Brings a lot of thoughts and feelings. I'd say the most dominant is I'm driving 50's technology that is still totally viable almost 70 years later, it is a comfortable car to drive. I'm pretty critical on how a car handles and somewhat how it rides, my 55 meets or exceeds my expectation on both fronts. There is also a bit of remembering my youth, I bought this car when I was in high school and had many good & crazy times with it. It sat for a bunch of years but have made some new memories with it since 2010. The last thought is I know almost every nut and bolt, major systems and much of the electrical system from bringing it back to life. To say I know my 55 is quite an understatement.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I don't find many things as rewarding, or enjoyable as driving any of my old cars. Especially out on the open road, or out of the in town traffic. It's so cool to be driving something old, and especially so if you built it, or rebuilt it yourself.
I often find myself taking the long route to anywhere I go just to get more driving miles in them!

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Yeah, it's somewhat anxious to drive my 57 but after the first ten minutes of checking the gauges and being assured everything's running normal - I love listening to the purr of the engine which is unlike any modern car. It's also nice to get thumbs up and waves from all vehicles including motorcycles. When I take my classic cars out - I try to drive at least 30 to 50 miles to really exercise them. The best way for me to control nervousness of an accident or mishap is to only drive her on Sundays when there are no huge tractor trailers, dump trucks and 60/70% less car traffic. That ensures a lot of space on the road, sometimes I am the only car as far as I can see front and back and then I can relax more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 55 is a Gasser that recently ran a 10.94. Breaking through the 10 barrier was a great accomplishment for an all steel only motor car. Now, I want to drive it on the street and since the BBC is way too much motor for regular pavement, I'm putting a small block in. Yes, the race track is fun and all that. But, driving this car around the streets and taking it to our club events is just the best. We all have so much love and work in our cars and all it takes is a smile or thumbs up from another driver to make it all worthwhile. It's not only our enjoyment, but the enjoyment of other people that see us out on the street.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Mine is the first trifive I've ever owned and I worked on it for years before I could drive it out of the yard.
1- The feeling of victory when I finally got to get out and legally drive the car and seeing it be smooth and reliable with very few bugs to work out.
2-It brought back the feeling I had when I had when I was a teenager. That feeling of being excited to hit the road and thinking up new excuses to go somewhere so you can drive your car.
3- There's a sense of pride or accomplishment in being out there in something you built yourself darn near from scratch. Most of the population will never know that feeling.
I could name others but I want to keep it brief.
What he said ... plus, it's just downright FUN! For sure a lot more fun than driving a generic Mazda. Can't say how many times I've heard "had one of those years ago and wish I'd never let it go". Having someone pull up alongside on the highway and snap pictures, the thumbs-up and horn honks, and knowing that I Built It ... nothing beats it! 🏎

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our 55 still has the original interior and the smell takes me back to when I was a young boy in the early 60s riding in my parents 57. Also my grandfather work for Chevy and all the cars he brought home had that scent. We love driving our 55 getting thumbs up, waves, etc. cruising around town. Plus our grandsons love riding it!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts