Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Anxiety. Driving around an original collector car with irreplaceable parts in a sea of irresponsible drivers on their phones. It's a lot more fun at cars and coffee when it just sits there and I can control its environment to a better extent.
I worry about the same thing, and two of the worst spots are only 100 or so feet from my driveway. Blind curves and the road is so narrow that you have to pull off the road a bit to pass someone. A few nut cases fly around those turns.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Like one guy said,I get thumbs up and pride knowing my family and I built it and if it does break down me and my wife and son can fix it,no computers or sensors,old school all the way.Brought my newborn daughter home from hospital in 1980 in a 55 but the boy come home in my brothers 79 thunderbird,lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 55 is a Gasser that recently ran a 10.94. Breaking through the 10 barrier was a great accomplishment for an all steel only motor car. Now, I want to drive it on the street and since the BBC is way too much motor for regular pavement, I'm putting a small block in. Yes, the race track is fun and all that. But, driving this car around the streets and taking it to our club events is just the best. We all have so much love and work in our cars and all it takes is a smile or thumbs up from another driver to make it all worthwhile. It's not only our enjoyment, but the enjoyment of other people that see us out on the street.
i hear ya on streetable

·
Registered
398 Posts
I travel thru time.

Wanted a 55 since I was 10 in 1984, got one a few years ago. I'm 46 and I'm transported away from reality when I drive it.

Pre-55 driving had become more or less complete comfort. There was no noise, fumes....no attention to how a modern vehicle was actually driving. At first, the 55 drove like a truck, but after going thru the car and rebuilding parts, I actually felt a huge sense of accomplishment. The thumbs up are appreciated but for me it was not about attention. Maybe you just need to be an old soul or a determined fool. It's really just a desire for a different challenge and to preserve something to pass a long some day. It is funny when young people are so puzzled by it. I get "What, what is that?" on more than one occasion I have looked in my rearview mirror and someone is recording or taking a picture on a cell phone as I drive.

And I often think of the guys who had/raced these cars in the mid 60's and left them to the young neighborhood kids when they left to served in the military. The car is a time capsule for me.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I travel thru time.

Wanted a 55 since I was 10 in 1984, got one a few years ago. I'm 46 and I'm transported away from reality when I drive it.

Pre-55 driving had become more or less complete comfort. There was no noise, fumes....no attention to how a modern vehicle was actually driving. At first, the 55 drove like a truck, but after going thru the car and rebuilding parts, I actually felt a huge sense of accomplishment. The thumbs up are appreciated but for me it was not about attention. Maybe you just need to be an old soul or a determined fool. It's really just a desire for a different challenge and to preserve something to pass a long some day. It is funny when young people are so puzzled by it. I get "What, what is that?" on more than one occasion I have looked in my rearview mirror and someone is recording or taking a picture on a cell phone as I drive.

And I often think of the guys who had/raced these cars in the mid 60's and left them to the young neighborhood kids when they left to served in the military. The car is a time capsule for me.
Well said.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
Really cool... You have the same forward over the hood view as I do. Love it!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts