Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting started on this little adventure, but learning A LOT!

So my plan is a true LS3, no L99, that I can put a Stage 3 cam in and possibly down the road a Supercharger. I really want to get the whole thing, engine, computer, wiring harness and pedal so it will all play nice together. Best of all worlds I could find a Corvette drop out that had an auto, but I'm having a hard time finding this combo right now and there seems to be a steady flow of wrecked Camaros (must be a manual as auto Camaros are L99 and not as easily upgradeable).

If I were to find a complete drop out from a stick Camaro w/o the trans, and I found a 4L80e or 6L80e, will they play nice without much fuss?

Next question is would you do the 4L80e or 6L80e?

Lastly since I am considering adding the supercharger down the road, what about overhauling the trans before installation and doing a Stage 3 overhaul kit to increase the trans horsepower limit. Smoke and mirrors or a good idea?

No plans to race at all. Just a fun to drive and show off streetable car.

Thanks,
Barret

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
Just getting started on this little adventure, but learning A LOT!

So my plan is a true LS3, no L99, that I can put a Stage 3 cam in and possibly down the road a Supercharger. I really want to get the whole thing, engine, computer, wiring harness and pedal so it will all play nice together. Best of all worlds I could find a Corvette drop out that had an auto, but I'm having a hard time finding this combo right now and there seems to be a steady flow of wrecked Camaro's (must be a manual as auto Camaro's are L99 and not as easily upgradeable).

If I were to find a complete drop out from a stick Camaro w/o the trans, and I found a 4L80e or 6L80e, will they play nice without much fuss?

Next question is would you do the 4L80e or 6L80e?

Lastly since I am considering adding the supercharger down the road, what about overhauling the trans before installation and doing a Stage 3 overhaul kit to increase the trans horsepower limit. Smoke and mirrors or a good idea?

No plans to race at all. Just a fun to drive and show off streetable car.

Thanks,
Barret
The L99 is an LS3 with just a different cam basically, block, internals, andheads are the same etc. yes it has AFM but you'll have to pull heads to change the AFM lifters no big deal. If your swapping cams anyway you may fine the L99 cheaper.

The vettes will all be rear tran and so only thing you can use is the motor. That said the Camro will be 6L80 autos with the L99. The 6L80 you will have to cut the trans tunnel. So I would run the 4L80 fits and it stronger stock for stock vs a 6L80.

If you're adding a blower later I wouldn't cam in it till then as the blower may not like the cam you pick and a blower cam may not like NA. Tons of choice but make the right one to save yourself trouble.

I would use the Holley Terminator X system as well as it will work with the 4L80 IE control it.

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The L99 is an LS3 with just a different cam basically, block, internals, andheads are the same etc. yes it has AFM but you'll have to pull heads to change the AFM lifters no big deal. If your swapping cams anyway you may fine the L99 cheaper.

The vettes will all be rear tran and so only thing you can use is the motor. That said the Camro will be 6L80 autos with the L99. The 6L80 you will have to cut the trans tunnel. So I would run the 4L80 fits and it stronger stock for stock vs a 6L80.

If you're adding a blower later I wouldn't cam in it till then as the blower may not like the cam you pick and a blower cam may not like NA. Tons of choice but make the right one to save yourself trouble.

I would use the Holley Terminator X system as well as it will work with the 4L80 IE control it.
I completely forgot about the Vette tranny....

OK, so if I can find a Camaro LS3 that came from a manual platform, mate it to a 4L80 and use the Holley Terminator X Max do I delete the Camaro LS3 computer all together? This appears to be the case and it may open up some availability of the engines I'm looking at.

Not having to get a larger tunnel is very attractive and pretty much makes up my mind on the tranny.

The cam I'm looking at will work well with a supercharger, Summit's 8710.

Not having to do the AFM delete and the VVT delete is attractive, but not the end of the world, like you said, especially if I can get a better deal on an L99.

Thanks for helping tighten up my thought process.

Barret

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have and L77 with a 6L80, very happy with the trans. The tunnel mod isn't a big deal in my mind (raised 0.75" at the seat end, doesn't interfere with the seat, original carpet used).

Have you considered an LSA and 6L90 drop out?

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have and L77 with a 6L80, very happy with the trans. The tunnel mod isn't a big deal in my mind (raised 0.75" at the seat end, doesn't interfere with the seat, original carpet used).

View attachment 337258

Have you considered an LSA and 6L90 drop out?
LSA and the LT4 have been on my radar, but with the idea that I can get 500 hp out of an LS3, I've decided to start there and expand later if I want. I may, and probably will, be happy with that.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
OK, so if I can find a Camaro LS3 that came from a manual platform, mate it to a 4L80 and use the Holley Terminator X Max do I delete the Camaro LS3 computer all together? This appears to be the case and it may open up some availability of the engines I'm looking at.
The holley is a standalone engine management system to run motor and trans you won't need anything else.

The cam I'm looking at will work well with a supercharger, Summit's 8710.

Not having to do the AFM delete and the VVT delete is attractive, but not the end of the world, like you said, especially if I can get a better deal on an L99.
You will be into the motor to swap the cams anyway. The VVT is on the front of the cam. The AFM you just have to remove the heads and swap out the 8 AFM lifters and add the LS3 valley tray. So cost you some time and may be couple hundred in parts to do so if that Several places sell AFM delete kits. So pay the LS3 tax or get L99 cheaper because people think they aren't an LS3. L99 are $3-4k with around 100k on them which is nothing on these motors. Shop around you maybe surprised. Also don't be afraid of the truck 6.2L they are same heads and bottom end as the LS3 as well. Again if doing cam swap may be cheaper.

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The holley is a standalone engine management system to run motor and trans you won't need anything else.

You will be into the motor to swap the cams anyway. The VVT is on the front of the cam. The AFM you just have to remove the heads and swap out the 8 AFM lifters and add the LS3 valley tray. So cost you some time and may be couple hundred in parts to do so if that Several places sell AFM delete kits. So pay the LS3 tax or get L99 cheaper because people think they aren't an LS3. L99 are $3-4k with around 100k on them which is nothing on these motors. Shop around you maybe surprised. Also don't be afraid of the truck 6.2L they are same heads and bottom end as the LS3 as well. Again if doing cam swap may be cheaper.
In general I like tech. VVT seems to be a step forward. I used to be a pilot. They still use magnetos for ignition in certified airplanes, OLD SCHOOL.

I've read VVT only works effectively up to 600 hp. If I add the supercharger it will exceed that.

Also I don't see that the Holley system can properly control the VVT, but I could be wrong on that.

I'm seeing L99s at $4-6k depending on year, mileage, etc. LS3s are $8k plus. I could certainly do an L99 to LS3 conversion for less than $3k+-.

One thing that sways me towards the LS3 is the warning that most cam manufacturers post is the valve/piston clearance. This truly is outside of my knowledge base and is a concern. I'm also aware that warnings on cigarette boxes are absolutely useless. I have no interest in "decking" the heads. Anything I do will be done by me.

So, if I can get an L99 with a VVT cam that I am comfortable with I am all for it, like I said tech is awesome, but two issues weigh on me, 1. Can the Holley computer affectively play with the VVT, and 2. If I do go with the Supercharger down the road are the valve/piston clearances going to work when the VVT advances and Supercharger is in high boost, or do I really need another cam at that point. If either or both of those is no, then I will go LS3 right from the start.

Help me understand.

Barret

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
From what I know, the Holley EFI controllers don't have VVT control capability. They don't have AFM capability either . And I don't know why you'd want VVT with a supercharger anyway.

I think you'd be wanting to delete AFM, and would be satisfied with deleting VVT.

I think you are over thinking the valve to piston clearance issue. There are many camshafts for LS engines that don't need extra valve to piston clearance. As a separate issue, a camshaft truly tailored to a supercharger is going to be different from one tailored for NA. The blower cam is going to have more exhaust duration than an NA cam because with the blower pushing air in on the intake side, there needs to be something that lets more out on the exhaust side.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
In general I like tech. VVT seems to be a step forward. I used to be a pilot. They still use magnetos for ignition in certified airplanes, OLD SCHOOL.
They use mags still as its a nightmare to certify anything through the FAA not to mention expensive. So thats why they kept mags for so long and would cost more than most planes are worth to STC something in them different and new anyway. All about the money with aeroplanes.

I've read VVT only works effectively up to 600 hp. If I add the supercharger it will exceed that.

Also I don't see that the Holley system can properly control the VVT, but I could be wrong on that.

I'm seeing L99s at $4-6k depending on year, mileage, etc. LS3s are $8k plus. I could certainly do an L99 to LS3 conversion for less than $3k+-.

One thing that sways me towards the LS3 is the warning that most cam manufacturers post is the valve/piston clearance. This truly is outside of my knowledge base and is a concern. I'm also aware that warnings on cigarette boxes are absolutely useless. I have no interest in "decking" the heads. Anything I do will be done by me.

So, if I can get an L99 with a VVT cam that I am comfortable with I am all for it, like I said tech is awesome, but two issues weigh on me, 1. Can the Holley computer affectively play with the VVT, and 2. If I do go with the Supercharger down the road are the valve/piston clearances going to work when the VVT advances and Supercharger is in high boost, or do I really need another cam at that point. If either or both of those is no, then I will go LS3 right from the start.

Help me understand.

Barret
Again buy an L99 remove cam install cam of your choice same as if its an LS3 you stated you were doing a cam swap any way in post #1.

Again the blocks, heads, and bottom end are the same LS3/L99!!

The PTV clearance is on really high lift cams. You won't need wild cam wit a blower. "Decking" the heads just rasies compression ratio which is running a blower doesn't help you at all.

Again pick your cam based on what your running. If you want to run a blower then you will want a blower cam. If you lack money to do it all at once then buy and stock LS3 cam they are $150ish new. Chevrolet Performance 12623063 Chevrolet Performance Stock Replacement Non-DOD Camshafts | Summit Racing AMF delete is $100. Texas Speed & Performance DOD / AFM Delete Kit for 5.3/6.0/6.2 Engines

That is still CHEAPER than buying a used LS3 in the end.

VVT is fine in a truck were you want low end and top end. They make great power all around, most cars are lighter and you want topend speed so not a good choice for VVT. GM used it to get low end for the auto trans. If you never plan to spin the motor to 6k then save your money on a blower and stick with a stock cam as you will never get your moneys worth.

The VVT usually has a limiter for after market VVT cams to prevent PTV clearence, or fly cut the pistons. Again just delete VVT/AFM.

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I know, the Holley EFI controllers don't have VVT control capability. They don't have AFM capability either . And I don't know why you'd want VVT with a supercharger anyway.

I think you'd be wanting to delete AFM, and would be satisfied with deleting VVT.

I think you are over thinking the valve to piston clearance issue. There are many camshafts for LS engines that don't need extra valve to piston clearance. As a separate issue, a camshaft truly tailored to a supercharger is going to be different from one tailored for NA. The blower cam is going to have more exhaust duration than an NA cam because with the blower pushing air in on the intake side, there needs to be something that lets more out on the exhaust side.
Thanks for confirming regarding the Holley/VVT. From my reading the piston clearance issue has more to do with VVT and larger VVT cams. I'm strongly leaning towards doing the AFM and VVT delete at this point.

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
They use mags still as its a nightmare to certify anything through the FAA not to mention expensive. So thats why they kept mags for so long and would cost more than most planes are worth to STC something in them different and new anyway. All about the money with aeroplanes.

Again buy an L99 remove cam install cam of your choice same as if its an LS3 you stated you were doing a cam swap any way in post #1.

Again the blocks, heads, and bottom end are the same LS3/L99!!

The PTV clearance is on really high lift cams. You won't need wild cam wit a blower. "Decking" the heads just rasies compression ratio which is running a blower doesn't help you at all.

Again pick your cam based on what your running. If you want to run a blower then you will want a blower cam. If you lack money to do it all at once then buy and stock LS3 cam they are $150ish new. Chevrolet Performance 12623063 Chevrolet Performance Stock Replacement Non-DOD Camshafts | Summit Racing AMF delete is $100. Texas Speed & Performance DOD / AFM Delete Kit for 5.3/6.0/6.2 Engines

That is still CHEAPER than buying a used LS3 in the end.

VVT is fine in a truck were you want low end and top end. They make great power all around, most cars are lighter and you want topend speed so not a good choice for VVT. GM used it to get low end for the auto trans. If you never plan to spin the motor to 6k then save your money on a blower and stick with a stock cam as you will never get your moneys worth.

The VVT usually has a limiter for after market VVT cams to prevent PTV clearence, or fly cut the pistons. Again just delete VVT/AFM.
Somewhere along the discussion I thought you were recommending keeping the VVT, but in review of the posts I see you have suggested getting the L99 and doing an AFM and VVT delete. This is where my head is now.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts

Help me understand.

Barret
If you're looking at spending that much money, and if I were in your shoes, I'd start looking at a brand new LS3 430 hp crate engine from GMPP which is priced at around $7,500. Yes, you will have to buy a harness kit and front accessory kit, but you'll be starting with all brand new stuff that have warranties.

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're looking at spending that much money, and if I were in your shoes, I'd start looking at a brand new LS3 430 hp crate engine from GMPP which is priced at around $7,500. Yes, you will have to buy a harness kit and front accessory kit, but you'll be starting with all brand new stuff that have warranties.
Very tempted and depending on how things go at work over the next 6 months or so, I may be able.
I'm doing as much research now as I can. Many, many things to actually do before motor acquisition. But, if the right deal came along I would pull the trigger.

Thanks for your input!

Barret

1 - 14 of 14 Posts