Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 55chevy 2dr ht and when i bought the car it came with a disc brake conversion kit from OL'55 still in the box. Now the conversion kit is the one that works with the stock spindle. I want to put drop spindles on but i cant find any that will work with the stock style set up that im gonna need for my disc brake kit.....So does anyone out there know of a drop spindle that works with stock style disc brakes or the original drums....Thanks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I don't know of a kit out there for 2" drop that will work with stock spindles. I just wanted to let you know that the kit you have will probably set your wheels out about 1 1/8" on each side. You can get kits that don't set them out any, or very little. There is a lot of info on here about disk brake kits.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know of a kit out there for 2" drop that will work with stock spindles. I just wanted to let you know that the kit you have will probably set your wheels out about 1 1/8" on each side. You can get kits that don't set them out any, or very little. There is a lot of info on here about disk brake kits.
So which kit would you recommend i use for wanting to go with drop spindles without pushing the wheels out..

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
2 drop spindle

hi 1957 chevy. the car i have got has a 2 drop spindle on the car i believe with standard springs and 15" rims the car is sat too low, am looking to gain another 4" in height if possible and wondered if there is springs out there that could do this.
cheers
steve

·
Registered
486 Posts
Clearance issues??

If 03ac does use that disc brake kit that pushes the wheels OUT 1" per side, will he not have rub/clearance issues with the fender after putting in drop springs?
I used CPP disc brake/2" drop spindle kit # CPP5557SWB.( a zero offset kit) Great kit, easy to install and performs well for $500! :anim_25: Jay

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,718 Posts
I want to put drop spindles on but i cant find any that will work with the stock style set up that im gonna need for my disc brake kit.....So does anyone out there know of a drop spindle that works with stock style disc brakes or the original drums....Thanks
There are no droppped spindles that work with the disc kits that are made for stock spindles that I know of.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
03ac: I just took a pair of 2" dropped spindles with 10 1/2" rotor GM disc brakes off my '56 sedan delivery because I went with larger Willwood on all 4s. The spindles are McGaughey. The whole setup is on ebay right now. You can also check out the wheel stance on my website www.PictureTrail.com/motthollow.
MOTT HOLLOW! !!!

Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to bash you, or put the kabosh on the sale of you McGaueghy spindles, but I would not sell those spindles to my worst enemy. Not only do you lose your lock to lock steering if you are not running tubular A arms, but they actually move the wheel and rotor in so far I had to remove a 1/2" out of the center of my adjustment sleeve for my tie rods to get the tires to align.

I have since removed the spindles and ground down enough surface area from the spindles to get my lock to lock steering back. After all the hell i whent threw to make them work properly, if I had to do it over again, I would have purchased another set of spindles and used the McGaueghy set as paper weights. NO SCRAP THAT..... I would have recycled them and had them melted down again, because that is all they are worth.

I just dont want O3AC to go threw the hell I did......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.