Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,I have a 57 that has stock spindles with front disc brakes. I call cpp about getting 2 inch drop spindles and sent some pictures of what I have.problem is they said that I would have to replace the whole set up to make it work with there set up. Does anyone know if there is any other place that I can get drop spindles that will work without changing every thing. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
398 Posts
some pictures or a list of what you currently have, rotor size, what calipers etc. might help. I have Heitds spindles for my project now, I am gonna use the Wilwood Dynalite caliper.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The problem is the rotor, the 69-72 Chevelle rotor, which is the only rotor that fits stock spindles just doesn't work well with drop spindles, moves outward too far. You will need to buy a complete kit. Go for the Heidts not CPP

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The problem is the rotor, the 69-72 Chevelle rotor, which is the only rotor that fits stock spindles just doesn't work well with drop spindles, moves outward too far. You will need to buy a complete kit. Go for the Heidts not CPP
Does Heidts have a disk kit that DOESN'T move the front wheels outward?

·
Registered
37,259 Posts
Heidt's 2" dropped spindle with the standard brake package (metric rotors/calipers) only moves the wheel mounting surface outboard by 5/16" per side compared to stock drums.

Compare that to 7/8" per side with the stock spindle and Chevelle calipers.

The Williams spindles don't move the wheels out compared to stock, and use bigger rotors than the Heidt's standard package.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Heidt's 2" dropped spindle with the standard brake package (metric rotors/calipers) only moves the wheel mounting surface outboard by 5/16" per side compared to stock drums.

Compare that to 7/8" per side with the stock spindle and Chevelle calipers.

The Williams spindles don't move the wheels out compared to stock, and use bigger rotors than the Heidt's standard package.
Rick, I'm looking at keeping stock ride height front and getting 15x7 wheels like the original Cragar SS or similar - trying to figure out the disk kit and what the back space on the front will need to be. And if I can get the 15x7 rims now and run them on the stock drums for a while until I get around to the disk kit and still have them fit. New stuff for me to look into here!

·
Registered
37,259 Posts
If you want stock spindles and disc brakes and don't want the wheels to move out too far, get the "zero offset" disc brake kit from mgchevyparts on Ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts