Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 57 has been sitting, waiting on me to finish it. I'm seeing alot of wheels for sell on CL so i am bound to run upon a set I can use but the question will always remain. What wheel will fit? Well, since that is a loaded question and I basically can figure most of it out myself, I want some different information. The story goes.....far far way.....j/k..the rear has been tubbed to the frame rails with a narrowed 8.8 rear (56.5" wide) so I am not concerned with what I can fit back there (basically anything I want). The problem I have found with the rea is that most companies don't cut anything larger than 9.5" wide anymore), at least in the wheel style I like, unless I special order them and that is not what I want to do. Right now, a 8" wide rim looks sad back there...lol. Maybe if I go low profile it might make the rim look wider.....
My issue is the front. It has drop spindles with disc brakes but I forgot how wide the WMS to WMS is so I can't give number right now. I have 8" wide rims up front right now and it only rubs on the right side during a hard turn right. I can't tell were it is rubbing. I guess I need to pull the measurements but want to make sure I am getting it all right because I will probably buy used and will more than likely have to measure the used wheels myself as most of the owners have no idea what the bs or offsets are on "their" wheels.
Correct me if I am wrong but...I need to measure WMS to WMS with load on the suspension as well as measure out from the WMS to the fender lip. Is this all the info I need?
Josh

·
12,256 Posts
In the rear you can get a 10" wheel pretty easily, but it depends on the style you want. Even with a 9.5" wheel, you can put a large tire on it. What is your wheel diameter? I'd be more concerned about the backspacing that's available.

With a minitub the centers of your wheelwells are about 57" apart and they're about 15" wide. So your axle flanges are just about at the center of the wheelwell. You can easily put a 12" or 13" tire in there.

What do you currently have for front wheels and tires? What tire do you want to run? Your mounting surface is probably around 60" which is typical of most kits. But yes, you should measure the WMS width at ride height.

I'm surprised your right tire rubs on a right turn. To me that might indicate that you're hitting the inner fender, not the fender.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at 18" or 20" rims. Front wheels on it right now are some old S-10 8" wide rims. I did know what the tire size was but of course you asked and I forgot....lol. I checked for rubbing of the inner fender but could not find any scuff marks. I thought maybe it was hitting the fender brace at the top but could not prove it. I'm going to investigate more.
As for what tire sizes to run, not really sure as I have not got the rim bs and offset figured out. I am thinking of a wheel similar to the Boss 304:

But they do not come in a size that I can use. I'm thinking I will need a 7" up front since the front end is lowered and tire will sit up above the lip. I like the design of the above rims if I can find a manufacturer that comes close and has the size i need.
Josh

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wouldn't use anything less than an 8" wide wheel for the front or the back. Obviously the bigger the better out back. Search around the site a little. There are some decent 18/20" wheel threads.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Laszlo, what about a 245/40 zr 18? I found a set of the above wheels but the guy doesn't know how wide they are so I've asked him to measure them. I think if they are 8" wide then they would work. We will see if he reply's. The specs for a 8" is +40mm, with a 6.013 backspacing.
josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts