Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah sure, "use the search" blah blah. I might have a chance to buy a set of 2" dropped spindles on craigslist, for the five seven. It says fits 55-57 with original ball joints, 82-93 camaro calipers and 79-81 Malibu rotors, made of high grade ductile iron. I'm a bit skeptical because the odd thing is, the discription for these spindles is EXACTLY the same for a set of spindles I saw on ebay. I was curious to see what ebay had, yet I'm usually nervous about ordering parts from ebay stores. Seeing the same discription is making me think now.

Aside from me being paranoid, I wanted to ask about the spindles themselves. I have '80 caprice 15" steel wheels on my car and they fit great. Will the calipers clear these wheels?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sweet! I wouldn't worry about them using the same discription... If they are the same application, why reinvent the wheel on a discription. Might even be the same original supplier. The advantage of Craigslist is you can see the quality of the parts before you buy. He probably used the price of the eBay set to see how much to sell for and borrowed the discription. If the price is right, check it out. I bought a set off a buddy about half price. Should be this winters project. As for the rims... Not sure anyone can tell you with certainty. Aftermarket brakes, caprice rims.... It's a crap shoot that should work. That's another reason I'm waiting. The kit calls for 15" rims, I'm still running 14".

:anim_25:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
574door, nice name, haha! The spindles are being given away for $100 so I might jump on those while I can.

Anyone else have any experience with the wheel fitment. I gave specifics with my application to let everyone know my setup. Anything in general just so I can get an idea would be great.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Do the spindles have a cast in bracket for the calipers or are they without and require a separate bracket for the calipers?
The ones like Heidts that use a separate bracket are better in my opinion, more choices for calipers and or rotors.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
I would be willing to bet that these are Chinese repops of the McGaughy spindles which are not that good. In matters of steering , i would spring for a more reputable dealer that has a good track record. this is not a place to cut corners. JMO

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I would be willing to bet that these are Chinese repops of the McGaughy spindles which are not that good. In matters of steering , i would spring for a more reputable dealer that has a good track record. this is not a place to cut corners. JMO
McGaughy's are no different, might as well save some money.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like they have the brackets molded onto the spindle. I looked on ebay for Helix dropped spindle and they go for $199. I noticed gambino kustoms sells them off ebay as well. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=260757533231

I know how everyone loves their name brand parts because there's a feeling of security. And I do agree that a spindle isn't a part to cut corners on. But why do you say mcgrady's spindles are no good?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah sure, "use the search" blah blah. I might have a chance to buy a set of 2" dropped spindles on craigslist, for the five seven. It says fits 55-57 with original ball joints, 82-93 camaro calipers and 79-81 Malibu rotors, made of high grade ductile iron. I'm a bit skeptical because the odd thing is, the discription for these spindles is EXACTLY the same for a set of spindles I saw on ebay. I was curious to see what ebay had, yet I'm usually nervous about ordering parts from ebay stores. Seeing the same discription is making me think now.

Aside from me being paranoid, I wanted to ask about the spindles themselves. I have '80 caprice 15" steel wheels on my car and they fit great. Will the calipers clear these wheels?
The link you posted to an ebay listing for Helix Tri Five 2" drop spindles says they're drop forged 4140 steel. But you said the CL sellers description says ductile iron. Sounding shaky already.
Given that one of the worst features of import repop parts is the inconsistent quality and materials, some shipments of parts are unusably bad. Reputable sellers will (hopefully) inspect and reject bad batches, or at least accept returns; we can only wonder who ends up with the reject parts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The complaint on Mc Gaughys is that the casting is not designed well so that part of the spindle interferes with the steering radius as it does not clear. Also I think they move your wheels out more for a wider track width. I do not have them but this is from I have read on this forum. They are a early design.
see this link below it may help,
http://tri-5.chevyrides.com/dropspindles.php

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it does sound shady if it's supposedly the same brand listing different materials. However, which material is better of the two, drop forged 4140 steel or the ductile iron? And which reputable brand would everyone say is decent for the dropped spindes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Heidts, Earle Williams or the CPP modular new style, all take a separate bracket for the caliper and you have more choices for calipers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts