Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dry Ice Blasting< anyone ever done this or have it done?

thanks James

http://youtu.be/DTheHTGKm9c I was watching this video and just wanted to learn more about it. I also was checking out http://youtu.be/bCehkkTTeMk and I was digging on this dustless blaster? It's at Sema and My friend went so I sent him to go check it out. In the next half year or so I would like to stripe my car of all the paint.

James

·
Registered
37,298 Posts
We clean molds for making plastic parts with dry ice at my work.

No abrasive to clean up, the only trash is what was on the mold.

I'm not involved with it so I don't know what equipment is required or if it's a true candidate for automotive use.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts

thanks James
Hello James. Have you done any or seen it before ?
Tell us what you are thinking or what you know or have heard. Mike

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Never heard....what next? Blasting with corn flakes.lol. Dry ice sounds interesting though.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Never heard of it but sounds possible. The dry ice would be crystals formed during discharge from a CO2 bottle and the crystals would immediately vaporize on impact, leaving just the loose residue being removed, blown away by the compressed air. No blast media to clean up. The question becomes how aggressive are dry ice crystals, but might work well to remove rubber because the rubber would harden and therefore fracture during blasting.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've heard of it.American restoration had a guy come to there shop to blast something with it.If I remember it worked real well.

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
never heard of it, would like to hear more. :confused0006:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://youtu.be/DTheHTGKm9c I was watching this video and just wanted to learn more about it. I also was checking out http://youtu.be/bCehkkTTeMk and I was digging on this dustless blaster? It's at Sema and My friend went so I sent him to go check it out. In the next half year or so I would like to stripe my car of all the paint.

James

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Used routinely for cleaning ventilation on Navy ships. Removes dirt, mold, grease and virtually everything foreign in the ventilation with no solvents or detergents which is desireable in confined spaces. Applied properly and I can imagine it would remove paint. They blast paint off steel with walnut shells or Baking soda so why not Ice.

·
Registered
37,298 Posts
I'd guess that like walnut shells, baking soda, or plastic media, it's not going to do anything with rust except take the loose scale off.

·
Registered
364 Posts

thanks James
I work in an automotive engine manufacturing facility and we use it to clean equipment inside and out all the time.You can control the amount of both media and air to avoid damage to paint or components on the machine. The big advantage for us is cleanup afterwards with just a sweep up required. Big disadvantage is $. It ain't cheap and you have to order the media/pellets for the time you need and use that day.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I work in an automotive engine manufacturing facility and we use it to clean equipment inside and out all the time.You can control the amount of both media and air to avoid damage to paint or components on the machine. The big advantage for us is cleanup afterwards with just a sweep up required. Big disadvantage is $. It ain't cheap and you have to order the media/pellets for the time you need and use that day.
I can't find a price on it. I found out on the other it cost quit a bit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can't find a price on it. I found out on the other it cost quit a bit.
Here in Ky the medium depending how much you buy is around $.30 a pound.If you feed it pretty hard you can use as much as 2-3 pounds a minute. It takes a lot of air to do that though, we run building air pressure at 65 psi with about a 1/2" ID hose supplying our machine. It does a great job on greasy nasty equipment.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here in Ky the medium depending how much you buy is around $.30 a pound.If you feed it pretty hard you can use as much as 2-3 pounds a minute. It takes a lot of air to do that though, we run building air pressure at 65 psi with about a 1/2" ID hose supplying our machine. It does a great job on greasy nasty equipment.
thankyou that gives me a better idea and Im not sure medium is sold here in sierra vista AZ

James

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We sued it to clean precision parts in our engine test cells when I worked in the Engine lab for Engelhard Dry ice blasting is commonly used in the dairy and beverage industry to clean out the stainless steel piping used throughout the plant. Do to strict guidelines chemicals can not be used so dry ice blasting thoroughly cleans out the pipes leaving nothing behind. I actually watch the tech from the company take the printing off a soda can with out damaging the aluminum. It is also used in the restoration of old books and documents. Its really remarkable stuff but outrageously expensive. Not really practical for doing a car unless your a guy like some high-end collectors with very deep pockets. I read where he has had it done on certain parts that were original and they wanted to just clean them up a bit but not to fully restore them so to keep the originality of the part and the car as an unrestored vehicle
The stuff you see with Dustless Blasting is not dry ice blasting its more of a wet media blasting. They use an air compressor similar to the ones used to run jackhammers towed behind trucks because they require a large volume of air. I looked into the cost of the machine and doing it as a business but didn't think it was worth the investment. At least not around here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts