Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the dual fans on a aluminum radiator. The relay kit that came with the unit, has power leads to each fan. My question is should the both fans run at the same time or run seperately except when AC is turned on?
Thanks.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,747 Posts
Think I would have them wired so that one fan always ran and the other came on, when the temp exceeded a certain point.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
1 on @ 180*, second comes on @ 200*... Both are on whenever the a/c is on. [How mine are set up.]
The * is adjustable thru the pcm. [EFI].

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks David. Good idea to have one fan running and the second one kick in when the sensor mounted in the bottom of the radiator calls for additional cooling. I will try and work out the wiring. I did not recieve a schematic, just yellow to 12 volt positive, blue to fans etc. etc. Thanks again, appreciate all your suggestions to other tri five problems also.

·
12,256 Posts
I have mine set up to BOTH run at 1/2 speed when the first temperature setpoint is reached, then BOTH on full speed when the second temperature setpoint is reached, or the A/C is turned on. To run them at 1/2 speed I use relays to run them in series, then they switch to run them in parallel for full speed operation. I'm using the Dakota Digital controller, but you don't have to. Only you need two temperature switches if you don't use the controller.

I would NOT have one fan running all the time...it's not necessary, especially at highway speeds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have mine set up to BOTH run at 1/2 speed when the first temperature setpoint is reached, then BOTH on full speed when the second temperature setpoint is reached, or the A/C is turned on. To run them at 1/2 speed I use relays to run them in series, then they switch to run them in parallel for full speed operation. I'm using the Dakota Digital controller, but you don't have to. Only you need two temperature switches if you don't use the controller.

I would NOT have one fan running all the time...it's not necessary, especially at highway speeds.
I have dual fans that run constantly. Some say it might be overkill. Running a big block in the summer in Chicago can get hot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dakota Digital makes a nice unit that will control 2 fans. You can set each fans turn on and turn off points. Its small and pretty easy to wire.

JB.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions. I wired it today with one fan running on ignition power thru a relay and the second fan kicking in with the sensor mounted in the bottom of the radiator. When I add the Vintage AC Unit, both fans will kick in automatically when AC is called for.
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts

Lazlo or anyone could you send me a diagram on how to run my fans at half speed using relays , thanks I also have dual fans with dokata digital controller.

Thanks

Otis

·
12,256 Posts
Otis, sorry I forgot to do that. I attached the diagram for a Camaro that is the same as my wiring. If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll e-mail it. I used three SPDT relays so they are all the same and easy to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
Those of you who want to run the fan all the time, think about what you're doing.

You are wearing your fan(s) and your alternator out, and you have to put up with the noise of the fan. If you have an adequate radiator, the fan(s) aren't going to run much.

Same goes for running the fan any time the a/c is on.

If you don't fully trust the sensors or controllers, you can still wire in an override switch that would allow you to turn the fan on anytime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts