Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know if there is any advantage of running dual exhaust over single exhaust? Don't plan on running headers, but do want a nice sounding system on my 57 wagon. Also would it be better to run straight pipes or a crossover?

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I'd go with duals, but I'm not a big fan of H or X-pipes unless a guy is having problems with the dreaded 'drone' effect. The cross overs soften and quiet the exhaust too much for me, and trying to diagnose a miss in which cylinder bank is a lot tougher also. JMO. I like to go with true duals and better mufflers instead.

Three better things with duals over a single system,
1. Better looking
2. Better performance
3. Much better sounding

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
48,599 Posts
Agree with Dano...No need for H, X, Y, Or Z pipe, IMHO

·
Registered
65,640 Posts
nothing cooler then dual exhaust, only way to go. :tu

·
Registered
720 Posts
I guess it is a matter of opinion and preference. I have always used an H pipe to keep the drone down and it still had a nice tone. It is easy enough to add later if he needs it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I asked myself the same question last year when I ended up purchasing dual exhaust with flow master mufflers on my 56 210. Nothing like the sound as others stated....:tu

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have true duals all the way from the old school Appliance long tube headers running thru vintage 70's era 2'' in / 2'' out Thrush mufflers back to the rear bumper for exit. No cross over, H or X pipe. Nice deep growl, no drone and really sounds great when romp on the go pedal.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would definitely go for the dual setup, one of the first mods I made to my 55 many years ago, even before my first set of headers.
I'm running long tube Hooker headers and good quality turbo mufflers, and have ran that setup for several years.
Just recently I decided to add an "H" pipe as the "glasspack sound" on a hard romp was not sounding good to me.
The "H" pipe did smooth it out and a much nicer sound I can now really enjoy.
I was sceptical of the "H" pipe, but am glad I did it.
Whatever the case may be, I'm sure you'll enjoy the nice sound of a good set of dual mufflers.

Jim

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Rule of thumb is that a dual exhaust may slightly improve horsepower but not enough that one can notice. Dual exhaust just adds some bling and better sound

·
Registered
747 Posts
I like my dual exhaust with long tube hedders, 2.5 inch pipes, mandrel bends, H-pipe, turn down ends and quiet dynomax mufflers. And when I want to really hear it I open my electric cutouts and let it really bark. For me, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input guys. Have always been partial to the old Thrush muffler's but I know they are getting hard to come by. Will definitely go with the dual exhaust, probably with straight pipes. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts