Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Tee in back of block bad plan it leaked. I appears not all 350 blocks are tapped above the oil filter. Anyone have Ideas how to hook up my 2nd Mech guage.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Unless you really want 2 gages, you can block off the fitting over the filter. I think it was added later for a oil pressure switch to kill the electric fuel pump if it sensed no oil pressure.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unless you really want 2 gages, you can block off the fitting over the filter. I think it was added later for a oil pressure switch to kill the electric fuel pump if it sensed no oil pressure.
That area is not tapped on my 69 300 HP pass block, or two pass blocks I looked at today, The four truck blocks I have are all tapped.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You can plug it with no problem created. 3/8 pipe plug I believe.

·
Premium Member
15,897 Posts
I had a Tee in back of block bad plan it leaked. I appears not all 350 blocks are tapped above the oil filter. Anyone have Ideas how to hook up my 2nd Mech guage.
What was wrong with the tee on top of the block? I have done that several times with good results. It sounds like you may have just had a bad fitting. I would try it again with new fittings properly sealed on the threads.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really want two guages just need to figure out where to screw in the second one. MY block is NOT tapped above the filter. Additionally it is not tapped in timing cover area.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was wrong with the tee on top of the block? I have done that several times with good results. It sounds like you may have just had a bad fitting. I would try it again with new fittings properly sealed on the threads.
I suggested the same a while back on here and Don Acardon said vibration would crack it and it appears he was correct.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Why couldn't the leak at the T be fixed. A T shouldn't be any different than a straight fitting. I have heard of a long pipe with a T on the end will often vibrate enough to brake the pipe. Are you using copper or plastic. You could put a T in the line from the block fitting, which would cut down on vibration at the engine.

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
you could get stainless steel fittings from mcmaster-carr. I too have never had a tee in the top of the block crack. Just out of curiosty why do you have to have 2 oil press gauges?

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
One SW under dash plus OEM idiot light.
that's what I have. I got a stainless steel 1/8" pipe nipple 2" long and added a brass female tee on top. been that way for years. works great.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's what I have. I got a stainless steel 1/8" pipe nipple 2" long and added a brass female tee on top. been that way for years. works great.
I just talked to my buddy at auto parts if I use a BW S320 sender I can reduce my height 1.5 inches which allows me to remove a 45 degree fitting, Bottom line reduce weight less vibration issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts