Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm not sure what year Chevy quit offering a dual quad setup on their sbc, but I believe they started in 1956. From 1956 to when stopped, what carb. could you expect to find on a dual quad setup?? Rochester 4GC or maybe a WCFB?? Were there any others?? Was this setup offered up until 1961 on the Corvette?? Just wondering. Thanks, Carmine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Carmine, while I am no expert on the tri-fives and early Corvettes it is my understanding that the dual four carb option was first offered in '56 as you mentioned and remained available up to '61 on cars and 'Vettes both. From what I have found is the '56 dual carb intake is it's own stand alone intake casting number 3731394. In '57 GM produced the 3739653 dual carb intake to fix an idle problem and float bowl starvation on hard turns. I have the 3739653 intake on my 57 and as far as I know only the Carter WCFB carbs were used for the dual four option. Hope some others may chime in with more info than what I have. As mentioned I am FAR from an expert on these tri-fives but I love'm all.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm not sure what year Chevy quit offering a dual quad setup on their sbc, but I believe they started in 1956. From 1956 to when stopped, what carb. could you expect to find on a dual quad setup?? Rochester 4GC or maybe a WCFB?? Were there any others?? Was this setup offered up until 1961 on the Corvette?? Just wondering. Thanks, Carmine.
1956 to 1961 is correct, Carter WCFB only. 56 were an early design with an idle bypass air circuit. They changed it in 57 and stuck with that design ever since. I won’t go too in depth otherwise, but there’s two different versions of the carbs 57+ for the solid lifter versus hydraulic lifter applications. They’re the superior carb verse the Rochester’s. WCFB stands for Will Carter Four Barrel, and is the inventor of the 4 barrel carb.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
There are competing stories for what the WCFB stands for. Besides 'Will Carter Four Barrell' (Will Carter owned Rochester at the time), I've also heard it stood for 'Wrought Cast Four Barrell". Given that 'AFB' was 'Aluminum Four Barrell' the 'wrought cast term made more sense to me than Will Carter... ?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Never heard the story that WCFB stood for '' Will Carter Four Barrel''. Have always heard it was for Wrought Cast Four Barrel. Seems the Rochester 4jet was up dated to become the Quadra-jet? Also agree about the AFB being an "aluminum four barrel".

Seems seeing anything with multiple carbs now days is a real rarity. Have a friend of mine who has a restored '67 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed with a 327 and a 3-deuce set up. REALLY draws the comments at a car show. The only pickup I have ever seen with a 3-deuce set up. Go to any car/truck show now days and out of 10 cars pretty much a given that at least 6 cars or more are an LS engine and some sort of fuel injection. Understand about the advantages of such but is getting to be a ''ho-hum'' moment. Seems an old school multiple carb set up will draw more comments just because it is so rarely seen now days.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Seems an old school multiple carb set up will draw more comments just because it is so rarely seen now days.
Especially to the younger crowd. I get TONS of comments from my peers on my car saying “I never knew this existed!?”. All people from my generation know that’s into cars is turbos, superchargers, in line 6 bmws, and LS bazillion Chevys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love to hear you are interested in these carbs. I have rebuilt several sets and currently have a set on my 58 Corvette. If are interested, I have a document that lists all the carbs from 55 to 61. The 57 Chevy had a couple of versions too. The 245 HP WCFB setup with a hydraulic can and the 270 HP setup used with a solid lifter cam. There are slight differences in metering rods and jets for each. Mixing them up will create some serious idle problems. I did this. Let me know if you want more info. Be glad to share. I have some drawings as well. Dennis

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,428 Posts

·
Banned
616 Posts
“Create a real talking point when the hoods lifted and there`s a set of dual carbies”

Does one want to impress the car show crowd, or impress the dude at the stoplight ?

L-79, L-88 and 396/375’s all ran single Holleys. Little to no need for 2/4’s or 3/2’s unless it’s some sort of #’s matching.

Tunnel rams excepted !

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I just got back a 1960 Corvette WCFB that I had Bob Kunz rebuild for me... It looks wonderful although I haven't yet fired up the engine. In the past I've been involved in getting Bob Kunz to rebuild the carbs for dual fours, and they always ran perfect from the moment the engine fired .. He not only rebuilds the carbs, he installs them on a test engine and runs/adjusts them so when you get them they are READY... :)

So YES Bob is still rebuilding carburetors, and he may even have the carbs you need for sale.

note: I have a 1299 WCFB that I took off a running '57 283 in a convertible in the late 70's or early 80's. I think the 1299 should show up on the dual four list for '57 as the front or 'choke' carb...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got back a 1960 Corvette WCFB that I had Bob Kunz rebuild for me... It looks wonderful although I haven't yet fired up the engine. In the past I've been involved in getting Bob Kunz to rebuild the carbs for dual fours, and they always ran perfect from the moment the engine fired .. He not only rebuilds the carbs, he installs them on a test engine and runs/adjusts them so when you get them they are READY... :)

So YES Bob is still rebuilding carburetors, and he may even have the carbs you need for sale.

note: I have a 1299 WCFB that I took off a running '57 283 in a convertible in the late 70's or early 80's. I think the 1299 should show up on the dual four list for '57 as the front or 'choke' carb...
The 1299 number refers to the air horn of that carb. The 6-1299 air horn was also found on dual four carbs (both front and rear Carbs) from ‘57 to ‘61. Just some fun facts but helpful to know if spotting real dual quad carbs.from clones. BTW, the rear carb is the choke carb on these setups. A real front 1299 front air horn will not be drilled for the choke butterfly shaft. There are a few minor differences on the base also. Are you selling the carb you mentioned?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was always told that WCFB was White Cast Four Barrel. I think meaning pot metal.
That's what I was told one time as well. White metal = Zinc.

But I recently asked Chuck Smith (The carburetor guy) and he confirmed that it stood for "Will Carter..."

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
WHY would a company that makes many different carburetors name ONE of them for the owner of the business???? I think Chuck is wrong on this and just repeating what he's heard over the years also... 'White Cast Four Barrell' is a more consistent term.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts