Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few of you that I run into now and then know I have had some issues of running warmer than I like. The last issue was running 240 in a 4th of July parade recently, partially my fault due to flags draped in the front got sucked into the grill a bit. On the freeway it runs a great 180 no matter how hot it is outside:tu But once you get off the main roads and hit traffic or constant red lights the temp immediately went up to 200, then would rise up to about 220. Once you got back above 30+ mph the temps would start to drop and settle back at 180. While it hasn't boiled over it has me worried regularly.

I have a two row Griffin aluminum that came in the car from the PO, recently had it cleaned and tested. I switched it to an 18" clutch fan, from a flex fan last year. It wouldn't fit in the old plastic shroud, so I had to cut the bottom of it off to even use the top to protect my fingers. I had a 16" pusher fan in front of the condenser that comes on at 195 or with the AC as needed.

So as much as I would like one of the Sweet radiators I just cant justify over $2,000 for a new radiator.

So I found that Griffin sells my radiator with a shroud and puller fan attached if you want it that way. To add it now was $390 from them. I found that FlowKooler will make you a custom shroud and supply you with a SPAL 16" puller fan for $308. I have already used them for my high-flow water pump and Robertshaw thermostat and have been happy with that. So i figured I would go with them again and see how it works out. They have a diagram you fill out for measurements of your radiator and space in the engine compartment. They make the custom metal shroud from that. You can have the fan mounted internally in the shroud if you have room, I did. From the time I ordered it till I got it was less than a week, arriving today.

I painted it up and attached it to the radiator, ran a trial fit and found it was hitting the water pump pulley.

By using the mounting plates for the radiator being in the 6 position and a V8 radiator support I was able to move it to give a 1/2 inch clearance.

It ended up fitting perfectly and sure cleaned up the engine bay

and left me with a few extra parts

Now the real test will be tomorrow when I fill it with coolant and fire up the engine and take a good test ride on the highway, through traffic and up a steep hill with the air conditioner on.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Thats sure going to be a good test, how hot you talking about :)

Hope thats going to sort out the heating problems.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
RAD

RANDY I,M SURE THAT WILL HELP. I,VE GOT 2 PUSHERS & THE NOAMD NEVER HAS OVERHEATED, THE FANS COME ON ABOUT 200-210, DROPS RIGHT BACK TO 180-185, MAYBE YOU CAN OFF SOME OF YOUR LOD "JUNK" TO MADDOG!! SEE YOU GUYS HAN,,DICK

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
That ought to do the job, Randy. :) I'm anxious to hear your result. If I understood your post your "before" fan shroud installation was only 1/2 shroud. If that was the case your new full shroud will make a huge difference in air flow across entire radiator surface. A well designed full shroud with puller fan should resolve your slow stop/go heating problems, regardless whether fan is electric or mechanical (whatever will fit).

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should have explained better why the shroud was only half. When the shroud would not fit around the 18" fan I was stuck trying to get it back together, so I just cut it off to make it safe to be around. I knew it was going to be pretty non functional, but with a 18" fan on a radiator that is 17" tall I figured I was covering most of it anyway:rolleyes:

I looked for a shroud that fit and 18" fan on that radiator and there just isn't any. I could buy ones that were close, but all said they would need a fair amount of trimming, yeah well the last shroud needed trimming too and that didn't go so well:sign0020: I could have bought a smaller fan and new shroud, but that was going to cost close to what the new set up cost.

So the conclusion was if I was going to have to have one custom made I might as well just switch to the all electric version and be sure it would be pulling the correct amount of air when it was needed.

Ok time to go out and fill it up and get this test done:tu

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RANDY I,M SURE THAT WILL HELP. I,VE GOT 2 PUSHERS & THE NOAMD NEVER HAS OVERHEATED, THE FANS COME ON ABOUT 200-210, DROPS RIGHT BACK TO 180-185, MAYBE YOU CAN OFF SOME OF YOUR LOD "JUNK" TO MADDOG!! SEE YOU GUYS HAN,,DICK
You are right Dick I already have a care package boxed up for Rick:sign0020:

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
You are right Dick I already have a care package boxed up for Rick:sign0020:
I like care packages Randy :tu

Thanks again :shakehands:

Bye the way, what brand is your clutch hub? i stopped at the Chevy dealer today killing time after breakfast with Ron, and the parts man told me the A/C Delco clutch hub is all but discontinued, and he would have to order me one, and i hope you are sitting down for this one.... they wanted 300 bucks for the clutch hub, needles to say i said no thanks, and 300 dollars was half the price of a new Griffin Aluminum raditor :)

So your new electric fan looks sweet buddy, nice job :tu i cant wait to hear the results , i might just be going the same route as you if the outcomes is worth the purchase.

So speaking of results, even though it was only 72* in Reno, as soon as Tasha climbed in the 57 and we hit the freeway, i turned the A/C on for the wife to check out. Needles to say she said turn it down i am cold :sign0020: but EVEN better, the water temps stayed consistently at 185 to 190*'s all the way home, she hit 195*'s on the Floriston hill on HWY 80 then dropped back down to 190*'s :) Maybe! JUST Maybe i might be all wright with the cooling system the way it is.

I did hear a little like rear end howl when the A/C pump would kick in, but as soon as i got home and into the driveway, i instantly parked the car and opend the hood and grabbed the A/C pump which was only warm to the touch :tu So maybe i am worrying about nothing, I still need to get the touch probe for my Fluke multimeter like Wagzilla has recommended so i can fine tune my A/C system.

And for the Northern Division of the bowtie-trifive that know the inside joke, Tasha was not even in the car for less than 5 minutes and gave me the stink eye and comment of "so you bought a new 55 clock anyway didn't you?" of course she liked the price i paid for it since Gary(livindpast) was nice enough to give it too me (now i just need to see if i cant get it working), and SHE STILL HAS NOT NOTICED the lowered head rest's :tu :sign0020:

Rick

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick I knew the clock would be a good diversion for the headrests:sign0020:

Not sure about the clutch part of the fan, no names on it, but it does say "made in the USA":flag6: I bought it at Summit and it wasn't more than like $50 so I am sure its not a AC Delco.

I just hooked a light up to the relay for the new fan so I will know when it comes on, I'm being optimistic that it will be so quiet that I won't hear it:sign0020: Checked it and it works and the fan is wired the correct direction and really "sucks", ready to hit the road with it.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Rick I knew the clock would be a good diversion for the headrests:sign0020:

Not sure about the clutch part of the fan, no names on it, but it does say "made in the USA":flag6: I bought it at Summit and it wasn't more than like $50 so I am sure its not a AC Delco.

I just hooked a light up to the relay for the new fan so I will know when it comes on, I'm being optimistic that it will be so quiet that I won't hear it:sign0020: Checked it and it works and the fan is wired the correct direction and really "sucks", ready to hit the road with it.
Good deal Randy...I sure hopes it helps your temps around town... good idea on the light for the fan, just cheap insurance or peace of mind too know your fan is coming on. So does you new fan suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch threw a garden hose :sign0020:

Rick

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Randy,
Nice looking shroud and Spal fans are excellent quality. I have a feeling you will have solved your issue. I think it was a good decision to remove the pusher too. I bet your
A/C will be colder than it was before.

Anxious to hear your results.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
While I believe you will get good results, and I'm using electric fans also, I think that you could have made the mechanical fan work well for less $$$, maybe less trouble, maybe not. For the mechanical fan approach, it all would have revolved around the trouble/$$ to build a correct shroud. You will still need a good electric fan control system.

Just saying that for those that have a good opportunity to make a shroud work with a mechanical fan, especially if you already have most of the components.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I believe you will get good results, and I'm using electric fans also, I think that you could have made the mechanical fan work well for less $$$, maybe less trouble, maybe not. For the mechanical fan approach, it all would have revolved around the trouble/$$ to build a correct shroud. You will still need a good electric fan control system.

Just saying that for those that have a good opportunity to make a shroud work with a mechanical fan, especially if you already have most of the components.
I agree Rick, but I don't have the ability to build a shroud and was just tired of messing with it.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I messed with the car yesterday letting it warm up in the garage until it hit the running temp of 180, seemed to take forever when your wanting it to:sign0020: It went on up to 195 and then the new fan kicked on, it brought the engine temp back down to 180 and it shut off. So far so good.

Today I took it out for a couple road trips, first around town. Went for a few miles before getting caught at a very long light, got up to 195 range and the fan kicked on. It stayed on for most of the trip home through the downtown section staying at about 185 to 195 with AC on. I let it sit in the garage for a while with AC on, car inside was very cold, but fan could not get it back down to 180 with AC on. Turned the AC off and the temps got back down to 180 and the fan shut off.

Open road test was next, headed over to Mel56's house, which is driving on an open two lane road most of the way. Temp stayed at 180 first half, then turned AC on and it stayed at 190 and the fan never came on. Got to one block of Mels house in residential area before it hit 195 and fan came on to keep me at 190ish to his house.

Overall seems to be working very well. I was amazed at much driving I was doing without the fan even coming on. It was only in the mid 80's today so on a hotter day I may have different results, but I'm good so far.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
So I messed with the car yesterday letting it warm up in the garage until it hit the running temp of 180, seemed to take forever when your wanting it to:sign0020: It went on up to 195 and then the new fan kicked on, it brought the engine temp back down to 180 and it shut off. So far so good.

Today I took it out for a couple road trips, first around town. Went for a few miles before getting caught at a very long light, got up to 195 range and the fan kicked on. It stayed on for most of the trip home through the downtown section staying at about 185 to 195 with AC on. I let it sit in the garage for a while with AC on, car inside was very cold, but fan could not get it back down to 180 with AC on. Turned the AC off and the temps got back down to 180 and the fan shut off.

Open road test was next, headed over to Mel56's house, which is driving on an open two lane road most of the way. Temp stayed at 180 first half, then turned AC on and it stayed at 190 and the fan never came on. Got to one block of Mels house in residential area before it hit 195 and fan came on to keep me at 190ish to his house.

Overall seems to be working very well. I was amazed at much driving I was doing without the fan even coming on. It was only in the mid 80's today so on a hotter day I may have different results, but I'm good so far.
sounds like she is good to go buddy :tu:tu:tu:tu

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,020 Posts
.......... which is driving on an open two lane road most of the way. Temp stayed at 180 first half, then turned AC on and it stayed at 190 and the fan never came on. Got to one block of Mels house in residential area before it hit 195 and fan came on to keep me at 190ish to his house.
Randy, you may have mentioned this before, but what kind of thermostat do you have? Is it a high flow or standard? The fact that it heats up on the open road with the A/C on indicates to me that you may not have enough water flow when the coolent is a little warmer in the radiator. I mentioned this before, I tried 6 different thermostats before I found one that would hold my temp at 180 on the road with A/C on and over 100 degrees out. I knew my system could do it because it would run under 180 without a thermostat.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

Randy, The hose from the intake manifold to the suction side of the water pump is allowing a large amount of coolant to circulate without going through the radiator. An external bypass is redundant on a sbc because an internal bypass is built into the water pump. Your cooling system will work more efficient if you remove that line.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts