Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i did a search and couldn't find anything...i know its is here so bear with me .
i keep setting the dwell on my small block and it seems to always change...if it could be fixed easily not a problem but i have heard re-bushing the top bushing is hard. so if the distributor is the issue and i want to convert it to hei,what are my options? there are a lot of them out there so i am asking for some advice on which/what to buy. ebay has some for 60 bucks summit for hundreds more , this is not a built up motor, i am looking for reliability.
i understand that petronix has a unit, but if the distributor is well worn i am not sure it will work properly etc.want to get some summer driving in without the constant hassel.
some suggestions wold be very much appreciated.
regards aero

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I bought a Top Street Performance HEI from Skip White on e-bay for about 45.oo plus shipping. Very fast shipment and good to deal with. No problems at all with it and it's been on the engine since January. I think the number of it is 6701R. You will want to change the coil to a flamethrower (about 29-39) in a speed shop. You can also get rid of the ballast resister as this was there only to reduce the voltage to the coil to protect the points during engine operation. Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
can you provide a link as i cant find it on the ebay site...also do you know where it was made?
do you know if a petronix replacement would work if my current distributor was a bit worn or would i have to rebuild it first?
thanks for thr reply , aero

·
Registered
65 Posts
I AM ALSO USING THE SKIP WHITE DIST. GOING ON 2 YEARS NO PROBLEMS

I BELIEVE IF YOU ARE ALREADY HAVING PROBLEM WITH YOUR STOCK DIST ,
YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH PEN.
BUD 1

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just looked at Skip's store. He has complete heis for less than $50.00

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The MSD streetfire is a excellent Hei unit. Hot coil for easy starts, adjustable vacuum advance. It's dependable, going on 3 yrs now with mine without a hiccup. A few more bucks, but it is a brand new dist and not a rebuilt/resale.
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8362/10002/-1

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also bought one from skip white 2 summer ago and runs great. he does have a web site also. any problems you can call there and they will help you.I did buy a coil from summit and had to mount it on my heater box was wondering if there is a canister type with enough power for the distributor?

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
You also hear a lot of complaints about the Skip White products. No experience here, but when I see a lot of dissatisfied folks complaining, I check things out.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
watch that streetfire job. don`t know if it will fit, if it`s a `57.
Good point..,a GM HEI design dist cap might hit the firewall if that was your idea. you might have to find a small cap hei dist Aero.

Check all of your options, do some research and see what you can fit in there. There are package deals out there with new small cap dist, wires, external coil, clamp, ect.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I got a Flame Thrower coil that mounts in the stock location. Round like the original. About 29-39 at most speed shops Jim

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
i just saw a `57 with the gm, hei in it. looks like the stock location for the engine.
Mm new '55 has the large HEI with original motor mounts....Just depends on how far forward the body was mounted on the frame at the factory.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have one of the distributors from Skip White. Their store is about 10 miles from me. Mine is suspect and I am about to pull it out. I'm not sure if I have distributor issue or not, but the engine just doesn't run as smooth as I think it should. I don' know if the advance springs and vacuum advance are adjustable, but with the initial timing set to about 10 degrees and then rev it up to about 3000 RPM with the vacuum advance connected the thing pulls down to about 60 deg BTDC. Also, I am getting a double firing on cylinder number 3. I don't know if it actually is firing the plug, but it lights my timing light when number 3 fires and when number 6 fires. They fire 90 degrees apart and you can see it on the timing tape on the balancer and they are next to each other in the firing order. It may be in the cap, which doesn't fit very tightly on the distributor with the sheet metal snap clamps. The engine is in pretty good shape and is a 283 bored .040 with power-pack heads, no smoke, cylinders look good, valves and heads look good, new 600 CFM Holley, good plug wires, Summit coil, carb idle mix adjusted to the best of ability. I have borrowed a stock GM HEI that I am going to test this weekend if it will fit. If the large HEI won't fit I will probably buy a small MSD or something similar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts