Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace Flowmasters with Dynomax Super Turbos, and my choices are a 14 inch case or a 20 inch case. It seems the 20 inch length would have the e-brake cables rubbing on the case. How much louder are the 14 inchers vs the 20 inch? How much of a problem is the brake cable rubbing on the top of the case?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The offset version will lower the cable a bit to clear. Chevy Emergency Brake Idler Lever, Offset, Non-Convertible,1955-1957
This is not an endorsement of the supplier. I would make one.
Recently installed the shorter version of Super Turbos ( catalog says for jeep), haven't fired up yet.
My cables ride near the top of the Flowmasters but the mufflers are not excessively low. They are positioned further back than stock location. My real issue is whether the 14 inchers are drone free. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am most concerned with the drone. I can't hear anything else with the Flowmasters on the highway. Do you have drone?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The short ones are much louder than the long ones. I have them on two cars, 454, one headers and turn downs at the axle, and one with cast iron Vette manifolds and tail pipes past the bumper. Both with 2.5 diameter tubes. There is a noticeable difference in sound level between the two.

Edit - If It wasn't clear, I have the long mufflers on the above examples.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Flowmasters are horrible about drone until you get into the really high level models.
I've seen a lot of Tri Fives with E brake cables sitting against the mufflers or tailpipes, but never seen any rubbed through yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am going to replace Flowmasters with Dynomax Super Turbos, and my choices are a 14 inch case or a 20 inch case. It seems the 20 inch length would have the e-brake cables rubbing on the case. How much louder are the 14 inchers vs the 20 inch? How much of a problem is the brake cable rubbing on the top of the case?
I have the 20in. Dynomax ST with headers. I cut a piece of rubber fuel line and slipped it over the e-brake cable where it touches the mufflers. No issues. Nice mellow sound while cruising but also a nice bark when you get on the gas. And NO drone. I'd use them again.

Larry.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the inputs. I've decided on the 20 inchers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts