Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
I believe all models came with the black plastic handle.....The chrome one was an afterarket offering.

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
All models for 55-57 came black from the factory. The chrome was a replacement available later as the plastic handles broke or you wanted to add the chrome.

-Bruce

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
The 56, 150 that I bought back in 1963 had a black plastic E-brake... Later, Dave

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
MC....Look in the Danchuck downloads.....They have the R&R procedures their, if you need them.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Thanks guys, I have both, kinda figured it would be the black one, chrome one looks to upper class(Bel-Air) for a cheapy 150.
My 56 Belair has the black plastic cheapy one too... Some day if I win the lottery I will pop for the chrome one:D Later, Dave

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I'm pretty sure at some point in time the chrome handles could be purchased through a Chevy dealer.

CCI used to sell them and listed them as one of the parts still available through a dealer parts room.

ex. like the $30/ea '57 rear bumper ends.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
As I understand it, Corvettes of that era came with the chrome handles and this became the OEM replacement part for the passenger cars.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thanks guys, I have both, kinda figured it would be the black one, chrome one looks to upper class(Bel-Air) for a cheapy 150.
I bought my all original 56 B/A from the original owner. It was a poor mans B/A with 6 cyl 3 speed and no radio. It has the black plastic e-brake handle still installed.

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts