Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 2 cast aluminum Corvette valve covers for my early 283 Bel Air 2 years ago. I just got around to trying to put them on. They are a GM Performance product. They do not fit, and Pace Performance where I bought them will not take them back because I painted them (Aluminum color), and it has been 2 years. I would imagine that a lot of people buy parts and cannot put them on right away due to long restoration projects. Has anyone heard of the staggered/offset bolt pattern being off by half a bolt distance so that only 2 bolts go in, and the other two cannot go into the head? They are for my older engine, and are sooooo close to fitting, it is frustrating. Both Pace and GM have basically told me to suck it up, I gave them money for crap. The paint issue should not be an issue since they cannot be resold due to not fitting anyway. The time issue was just a hunk of metal sitting in a box on my shelf, no degradation there. So two points here, has anyone heard of this problem? Are there differences in heads besides the offset and non-offset holes? The other is I would carefully consider buying from either of these companies.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Yes you are right off set on the early ones. Maybe you can trade with someone or sell outright. Mike

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
What heads (numbers) do you have on your motor? Do the Corvette covers have a 3726086 molded or stamped on them somewhere?
I assume they are these? Which holes are off, top or bottom?

If you're not hung up on "Corvette" the covers are also available with Chevrolet script

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If they are only 1/2 bolt out, it can't be a staggered vs. straight issue. The staggered bolt holes are at least 5/8" different.
I'd suggest to get a 1/4" round file and elongate the hole to fit. 1/2 a bolt should be within a doable job here.
If you have painted them, then I'm afraid they are now yours, so you have no choice but to make the best of the situation.
Die casting sometimes has weird shrinkage effects.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought a set of those as well a couple years ago and had the same problem.Cant remember who I got them from but they were also made GM performance products.Mine even had a slight warp to them.I was lucky in that I noticed it right away and contacted them.They checked some others they had in stock and all had the same problem,so they had me send them back and refunded my money.So I just watched and finally found a set of originals and put them on.It is unfortunate that they won't work with you because it isn't like they can resell them to someone else,they won't fit regardless if they are painted or not.I can tell you I tried to drill the holes larger like was suggested and they didn't want to refund my cash at first because I had "altered" them but did realize they were molded wrong after checking their stock and refunded my money.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is good to know. Thanks for all the input from all, the holes are off on he width, not the length and to elongate them would leave too little metal to work with. I bought these 2 years ago too, so it sure sounds like the same deal. They just will not own up to it. I am assuming that if I try to widen these, they will crack as they are cast AL. I have my originals, but the Vette ones look so much better....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I put a straight edge on the long sides, they are slightly concave. Probably the problem.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
After two years its unreasonable to expect a refund. Take then to a aluminum welder and have the holes welded up and the bosses enlarged and redrill them to fit? then grind & sand and polish them?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I purchased 2 cast aluminum Corvette valve covers for my early 283 Bel Air 2 years ago. I just got around to trying to put them on. They are a GM Performance product. They do not fit, and Pace Performance where I bought them will not take them back.
Looking in the newest catalog it shows the correct covers on page 165. 3726086

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/parts-catalog.html

And the Pace website says 1959-1967. 3767493

http://paceperformance.com/c-154282...lve-covers-and-accessories.html#!sxq=corvette

It looks to me like both places have different covers and the one you want is 3726086

Attachments

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
It sounds like you have garage wall décor, but Thanks for passing on the info, it could save someone else from being skinned by Chinese quality.

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
I've said it before (and I'll probably say it again in the future since most people would rather be mad and vent than actually take action) but when you have a vendor that has supplied a defective product and who refuses to make things right, one thing that works in most cases is to file a complaint with the business' State Attorney General and Better Business Bureau. These actions can be done on line. Each of these agencies will do an investigation and require a response from the vendor. You will only be required to explain what actions you have taken to remedy the situation and what results you would expect. I've done this numerous times and have gotten results every time.

It doesn't matter if the product has been used, modified or out of warranty, as long as it can be shown to have been defective to start with. I would expect that you could supply photographs of a ruler laid across the head's bolts holes and a photograph of a ruler laid across the cover's holes to show the discrepancy.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/File-A-Complaint
https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/nature-of-complaint/

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,002 Posts
I purchased a pair of the 3767493 covers (GM Performance parts) many years ago (these are the '59-later bolt pattern) but had never mounted them up.. so I had to go check the alignment after this thread.. but they seem to be correct!~

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine had quite a concave as well,and when they checked their stock with a straight edge they appeared to have the same problem.At least they were honest and wouldn't sell me another set.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, a lot of work. I think I will just hang them on my wall in the garage to remind me of the companies to avoid. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Already have those pics, but never thought of your suggestion. Will look into it. Thanks, you seem to really have your stuff together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts